History: Good or bad if Texas annexed CZM in 1838?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a nightmare scenario, the capitol (which I can see from my windows here at work) being in Brownwood or worse Lubuttocks.

I worked at Astroworld and knew what the Six Flags were.

I can't imagine how anyone who grew up in Texas wouldn't know what the Six Flags were! Texas History is constant in the school curriculum- elementary school, middle school, high school, even university requirements (though my professor at A&M interpreted "state government" to mean "all state government" so we did a survey of the various types of governments, but pretty much every other prof did Texas government). Plus the capitol still flies all six flags, though maybe having grown up in Austin my chance to see those was much higher than most.

Get out my life why doncha, babe...oo-oo-oo-oo...

:D

It's the only good thing about when we have to do Jersey shore vacations. I mean, I love Lammes Candies, but Austin had limited fudge shop options. I don't need one on EVERY corner, but I'd love some good fudge in Cozumel. It would highlight my list of food must haves well. If I ever get to go back; DH keeps getting solo trips in.

Very interesting thread RE: Texas annexation. Growing up in Texas, I hadn't heard much about annexing Cozumel, just about various mainland Mexico issues.

Returning to original post. What happened on other islands is irrelevant. The question is about ports, resources, military bases, etc. at that locatyion. If any of those wound up in Cozumel then not good for diving.

Returning to original post. What happened on other islands is irrelevant. The question is about ports, resources, military bases, etc. at that locatyion. If any of those wound up in Cozumel then not good for diving.

Great point, there would've been a navy base for sure. The U.S. may have closed it after Texas joined the Union, since they had others in the region, but the damage may have been done.

It's the only good thing about when we have to do Jersey shore vacations. I mean, I love Lammes Candies, but Austin had limited fudge shop options. I don't need one on EVERY corner, but I'd love some good fudge in Cozumel.
Sorry if I was being too obscure. Vanilla Fudge, a band in the 60's, had one hit - "You Keep Me Hangin' On", which I was quoting.

Sorry if I was being too obscure. Vanilla Fudge, a band in the 60's, had one hit - "You Keep Me Hangin' On", which I was quoting.
I was wondering what you'd meant.

First done by the American Motown group the Supremes in late 1966. The rock band Vanilla Fudge covered the song a year later and had a top ten hit with their version. You Keep Me Hangin' On - Wikipedia

by Kim Wilde
Lyrics
Set me free why don't cha babe
Get out my life why don't cha babe
'Cause you don't really love me
You just keep me hangin' on
Get out my life why don't cha babe (ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh)
'Cause you don't really need me
But you keep me hangin' on
Why do you keep a comin' around playing with my heart?
Why don't cha get out of my life and let me make a brand new start?
Let me get over you the way you gotten over me, yeah, yeah
No, you don't really need me
You say although we broke up you still just wanna be friends
But how can we still be friends when seeing you only breaks my heart again
(And there ain't nothing I can do about it)
Whoa, ooh, whoa, ooh, whoa
Whoa, ooh, whoa, ooh, whoa, whoa
Whoa, ooh, whoa, ooh, whoa, whoa
Whoa, ooh, whoa, ooh, whoa,
Yeah, yeah
Get out, get out of my life
And let me sleep at night
You say you still care for me but your heart and soul needs to be free
And now that you've got your freedom you wanna still hold on to me
You don't want me for yourself so let me find somebody else
Why don't cha be a man about it and set me free (ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh)
Now you don't care a thing about me
You're just using me, hey, abusing me
Get out, get out of my life
And let me sleep at night (ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh)
You just keep me hangin' on (ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh)

Actually a cover of the original version by the Supremes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom