Hog 2nd stage soft cover causing free flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My recently purchased hog/edge reg package 2nd stage works good with the stock hard cover. When the soft cover is put on the face and tightened down with the nut/ring, then it free flows. I've switched out the hard and soft cover with repeatable results. It looks like the nub in the soft cover is too long and might be depressing the purge? I could take some sandpaper to shorten the soft cover nub. I'm wondering if this is the problem and if you'd had any issues like this? Thanks.

Just needs to be adjusted, easy fix for any regulator repair. HOG customer service might even talk you through it over the phone.

Please, do not cut the tab down or grind it down, or sand it down. The tab on the soft cover does put a slightly higher pressure on the front diaphragm and hence will cause a slight seep. With the soft cover installed. Take the second stage off any hoses, depress the center of the cover so your are fully depressing the lever and moving the soft seat off the hard orifice edge in the air barrel and use an allen key to turn the hard orifice clockwise approximately 1/60th a turn. Stop pushing the front cover in, reconnect to hose and first stage/tank, pressurize and test. If you still see seeping, repeat the above steps. This is the only approved and proper method for adjusting for the differences in the cover sizes. Due to manufacturing requirements we cannot readily change the tab size on the soft cover and the seepage can be addressed with a simple adjustment. If you need any additional help or a demonstration, PM me and we can set up a web conference where I can walk you through it.

Thank you for your purchase. If you haven't already done so I suggest registering your product for warranty coverage here. http://www.edge-gear.com/ProductRegistration.aspx

The third time did it. Thanks for the good instructions and support, Jack.

Did you guys measure how it will increase the cranking effort and decrease the maximum flow of the stage ? Are there any timelines for unification ?

Thanks

Please, do not cut the tab down or grind it down, or sand it down. The tab on the soft cover does put a slightly higher pressure on the front diaphragm and hence will cause a slight seep. With the soft cover installed. Take the second stage off any hoses, depress the center of the cover so your are fully depressing the lever and moving the soft seat off the hard orifice edge in the air barrel and use an allen key to turn the hard orifice clockwise approximately 1/60th a turn. Stop pushing the front cover in, reconnect to hose and first stage/tank, pressurize and test. If you still see seeping, repeat the above steps. This is the only approved and proper method for adjusting for the differences in the cover sizes. Due to manufacturing requirements we cannot readily change the tab size on the soft cover and the seepage can be addressed with a simple adjustment. If you need any additional help or a demonstration, PM me and we can set up a web conference where I can walk you through it.

Thank you for your purchase. If you haven't already done so I suggest registering your product for warranty coverage here. http://www.edge-gear.com/ProductRegistration.aspx

The small effect the slightly longer tab has and the required tweaking of the orifice doesn't increase the spring force enough to substantially change the breathing performance of the reg. Without actually measuring it again for accuracy, my recollection is that it makes less than 1/10th an inch difference in the force required. The typical diver would not notice any difference if not told what was done and it will certainly still be under the accepted maximum inhalation resistance allowed for a primary second stage. The soft covers are great if you need them but yes the required adjustment to make them work optimally is a bit of a PITA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom