HOG 32LB wing bladder filling with water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as the wing is holding pressure, the water must be coming in as a result of your valve operation. It is not a problem to get some water in. If you are not getting a little water in your BCD you either have developed a fine touch in the operation of your dump valve or you are overweighted. Byut , with lots of water you are probably overworking the dump valve. If so, make sure you are not underweighted.

I agree it's quite usual and nothing to be worried about if you follow the proper aftercare process of rinsing...

However, it might be cause for the OP to at least look at the way they are venting. If you vent with the OPV/dump at the high point of the BCD, then assuming you don't vent it totally empty, water entry should be minimised. Similar to clearing your mask.

If you're venting from the butt dump when vertical, or the shoulder dump when not vertical, you'll get more water in than otherwise. Also, fully inflating the wing post-dive should cause any water to go to the low point, which will make it easier to drain.

As long as the wing is holding pressure, the water must be coming in as a result of your valve operation. It is not a problem to get some water in. If you are not getting a little water in your BCD you either have developed a fine touch in the operation of your dump valve or you are overweighted. Byut , with lots of water you are probably overworking the dump valve. If so, make sure you are not underweighted.

In my 20 or so dives I've exclusively used the inflator hose to vent, never the dump valve/OPV. It's the way I was taught, so it's always just been what I was used to.

This being my first owned BC, I just wanted to test everything out for proper functionality and I guess not being used to working the dump valve, I most-definitely over-worked it during my pool dives while testing out my new setup.

I'm glad I asked though, because now I know to add rinsing and airing of the wing bladder to my post-dive cleaning routine and to sanitize with a diluted Listerine rinse every once-in-a-while.

Thanks to all who provided input.

I should also add, I'm extremely pleased with the performance of my Hog BP/W, and D1 regs. Can't wait to put them to use!

I received my new BP/W setup on Wednesday and did a pool dive to dial in the harness and configuration. Upon exiting the pool I heard the sound of water swishing around in the wing, initially thinking it was between the inner and outer layer. I pulled the OPV and a bunch of water came gushing out. I re-inflated and pulled the OPV again - same deal. Most of the water was out by the third go at it.

I inspected the spring inside the OPV, no problems there. I checked the inflation hose for secure connection - it is.

Anyone have any ideas?

In the event that the wing needs to be replaced, should I contact Hog or DRIS (who sold it to me)?

Check to make sure your OPV valves and fill hoses are not cross threaded. If they are not seated properly water can enter the wing. Also have you tried inflating the wing to rock hard and do a bubble check to see if it is leaking.

It is normal to get some water in a wing/bcd when filling it at depth as any water trapped in the inflator hose will get pushed into it when you push the button. If all else fails contact the dealer and ask them how to proceed. Chris (Head Boar at HOG) is excellent when it comes to warranties so I suspect he will get it sorted out post haste if there is a problem with your wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom