Hog regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be curious about that, too, thanks.

I'm using the set I just ordered for deco, however. Trying to figure out the o2 clean thing. Can I use these brand new regs on my 100% bottle (Al.40, so 3000psi max, sometimes lower) or should I just reserve them for my 50% bottle?

Per Chris at the instructor course, no amount of O2 cleaning will increase these limits:
  • OK for 100% O2 up to 2400 psi.
  • OK for EAN80 up to 3400 psi.

Per Chris at the instructor course, no amount of O2 cleaning will increase these limits:
  • OK for 100% O2 up to 2400 psi.
  • OK for EAN80 up to 3400 psi.

So I should infer EAN90 at 3000psi? LOL

I wonder if it's realistic to worry about this, and I should just use them with 100% anyway (on the off chance I actually get a 3000psi fill), or if I should simply swap these new regs to my 50% bottle and use the o2 clean (fine for 100%) regs I already have on my 100% bottle...

I had hoped to use them for both, and dump the other regs, but that's looking less feasible if 2400psi is really the [real world] limit.

I wonder if it's realistic to worry about this, and I should just use them with 100% anyway (on the off chance I actually get a 3000psi fill), or if I should simply swap these new regs to my 50% bottle and use the o2 clean (fine for 100%) regs I already have on my 100% bottle...

I had hoped to use them for both, and dump the other regs, but that's looking less feasible if 2400psi is really the [real world] limit.

The issue is that no scuba regulator is designed for use with oxygen at high pressures, none. Some manufs are willing to give the OK for 100 O2 use without consideration for pressure. I don't consider that realistic, nor responsible . In addition I am allowing people to service their own gear if they attend the TDI HOG equipment course and the course does not teach (but talks a bit about) how to "oxygen clean", in fact I highly recommend that if you are self servicing and using the reg with higher than 40% oxygen you also attend a Oxygen service course.(offered by many tech agencies).

I would rather be overly cautious on something that can harm or kill somebody than overly optimistic that everything will go well for every user every day with every oxygen fill. Think about the medical Oxygen industry, makes diving pale in comparison, their regs and valves are designed from ground up for oxygen use at 100%, yet they only fill to 2400psi,... if the risk allowed you can be assured they would be filling higher.

It's always realistic to be careful about O2 partial pressure problems. I've seen enough of the burned out valve seats and HP seals that come with too much, too fast, to always be nervous. Then again, if you need more gas and using a bigger bottle isn't an option, it's your regulator and your butt to do with as you will. Just remember, nobody cares about the Scuba Police but smart people always keep an eye out for Darwin.

Then again, if you need more gas and using a bigger bottle isn't an option,.

an 80 filled to 2400 psi is just as easy to carry/stage as a 40 with 3000psi....:D

Realistically, I don't think my LDS pumps Al.40's to 3000psi with o2 anyway, I was just wondering for reference purposes.

BTW, while I think about it... will there be any "TDI HOG equipment courses" being taught in SoCal?

Hardly.

In any case, though, 2400psi of O2 in a 40 is a lot of O2. That'd still be good for several dives. That said, lots of people are going to use these regs at 3000psi. No one is going to have an issue.

an 80 filled to 2400 psi is just as easy to carry/stage as a 40 with 3000psi....:D

Err on the side of safety is the best option.

BTW, while I think about it... will there be any "TDI HOG equipment courses" being taught in SoCal?

We will be mapping a plan across the US! Start finding some people for the class as we will start our "tour" soon. We will bring the training to your area and bring you up through the ranks!

More info coming within the next 2-3 weeks as we finalize everything

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom