Holding a GoPro on a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first started using my Gopro when diving I had the head strap. After watching the first video I shot I was dizzy! I found I'm constantly moving my head around looking at stuff. The constant movement isn't a recipe for good video. The remainder of that trip I just held the head strap in my hand. The video turned out much better.

My wife has since bought me the Backscatter GoPro Starter System with Sola 500. Just got back from Bonaire a couple weeks ago. I love this setup!!! The video was great! Only thing I lack at this point is the red filter. I highly recommend this gear.

I think their new flip up filter setup will be awesome.....wish it would come out sooner than they are saying!

I tried to just hold my GoPro on a dive but it didnt come out as I would have thought. I need a durable monopod. I tried the head mount but I do not like how much movement there is because you are always looking around. My buddy used the GoPole but he said it felt cheap and the mount was really cheap plastic. It ended up breaking on him after a few dives. I will figure one out either a DIY or see what other comapanies are out there.

I use the Xshot (I bought it from Amazon). It extends out to about 3 feet. I can extend it and hold the pole down at my side with the camera behind me and get a view of the dive as if the viewer was above & behind me. The grip is kind of narrow, so I bought a cheap set of bicycle handlebar grips and put one on. It's much easier to grip now.

XShot appears to be the same thing that FastCap - 888-443-3748 - FastCap - Woodworking Tools sells, here is Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/XShot-Camera-Extender-Cameras-XS2379-F/dp/B000VA4CK8

I got mine in the mail yesterday - seems pretty decent. I can see why the head screw would rust lol - it is an uncoated/non stainless screw. I like the handle and how light it is. If you move it rapidly it will flip the camera at the end, but if you exercise wrist control, it is easy to keep level.

I should get my other one in the mail tomorrow, the stealth pro mini which has locking adjustable pole arms. Same head as the Xshot/Ipole Mini though so the screw can still rust.

Stealth iPole - FastCap - Woodworking Tools

I think I may coat my screw in something to see if it helps to keep from rusting or will go to hardware store to look for a replacement SS screw.

MEAP-2.jpg

Another Option:

Extend-A-Pole Mono Pod

I just got back from a week in Cozumel using the fastcap/mako stainless steel adjustable pole with the GoPro tripod mount and it worked AMAZINGLY WELL.

The only 2 negatives are:

1) The lanyard strap is pure and total crap. Broke on me 1st day. I will just add a good one myself for next year
2) The screw that adjusts the angle on the pole is NOT stainless or rust proof. Be sure to oil it after use.

Other than that it worked flawlessly and allowed me to get close to critters I couldn't normally or wouldn't want to. Everyone who saw it was very jealous, especially my buddy with his $4k HD camera rig that weighs 10 lbs lol!

Will post a video as soon as I get it uploaded!

---------- Post Merged at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:15 AM ----------

[video=vimeo;45518048]https://vimeo.com/45518048[/video]

Will post more vids later, but will make a separate thread. As you can see, it is quite the handy way to film using a GoPro!

Here's what I got. I didn't like holding the case of the camera as the video is unstable and is easy to put a finger in front of the lens and mess the video up.

I picked up the double handle tray and handles from ultralight control systems and so far I'm loving it. The rig adds some weight to the camera which should make it easier to hold steady. The tray comes with the gopro tripod mount which is nice. Grips are nice and soft with lots of grip to hold on to. All metal in the rig is ether thick aluminum or stainless steel. The cool thing and why I went with this rig is when I can afford lights (2 sola 800's) the balls on the top of the handles will let me have almost infinite light placement with ULCS arms they make. Then to make sure the rig doesnt go any where I got the clip bungee from trident. Its always attached to a D-ring and I can unclip the clip and use the bungee part to get it out from my chest. I put Velcro on the lens cap of the case and on the bottom of the tray so it will stay in one spot and not float up in front of the FOV.

Really looking forward to get this rig in the water!

Attachments

• IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_1696.jpg
    IMG_1696.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_1697.jpg
    IMG_1697.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg