Holes in the Scubapro line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There certainly are:

MK6
MK8
MK9
MK14
MK16
MK18

Why there are no

MK4
MK12
MK13
MK22
MK23
MK24

I do not know. I would assume it has something to do with internal enumeration and certain designs not being produced or superseded before hitting the shelf's.
I can’t get any of those links to come up.
Were/are some of these models Europe only?

I can’t get any of those links to come up.
Were/are some of these models Europe only?
They first appear in US catalogs during the following years.
MK6 - 1969
MK8 - 1979
MK9 - 1983
MK14 - 1998
MK16 - 2001
MK18 - the MK 18 was first sold in the ultralight version starting 1999, in 2001 the brass version appears.

Here is the MK IV from a Scubapro Italy catalog, no dates in the catalog but I am guessing about 1974.
MK IV appears to be the MK V paired with 108, not a standalone first stage.
SP MK IV.jpg

And from the same catalog, check this oddity out! The Scubapro P.V.B. (Pilot Valve Balanced).
Did it ever made it out into the wild? I've never heard of it before, but now it's on my most desired regulators list.
SP PVB.jpg

Here is the MK IV from a Scubapro Italy catalog, no dates in the catalog but I am guessing about 1974.
MK IV appears to be the MK V paired with 108, not a standalone first stage. View attachment 814771

And from the same catalog, check this oddity out! The Scubapro P.V.B. (Pilot Valve Balanced).
Did it ever made it out into the wild? I've never heard of it before, but now it's on my most desired regulators list.
View attachment 814772
Unfortunately the P.V.B ( Mark VIII in Germany) 2nd never came on the market, would have been a really interesting 'Pre Pilot' 2nd.......

MK IV appears to be the MK V paired with 108, not a standalone first stage. View attachment 814771

View attachment 814772
This is the early version of the Pilot.
I was visiting Scubapro factory in 1977, and I have seen one of these prototypes on the test bench.
The final version was a bit different.
The Pilot was not invented by Scubapro engineers, they did buy the design and the patent by an American inventor (I do not remember the name).
But here you can read the whole history:
Scubapro engineers did love the principle, but not how it was executed in the Pilot.
So they re-engineered it in what became the AIR-1, with parts fully compatible with the Pilot casing.
So most Pilots were retrofitted with Air-1 parts, which made it more reliable and easier to service and to tune.

They first appear in US catalogs during the following years.
MK6 - 1969
MK8 - 1979
MK9 - 1983
MK14 - 1998
MK16 - 2001
MK18 - the MK 18 was first sold in the ultralight version starting 1999, in 2001 the brass version appears.
Here some pics of examples of the SP 1sts from the MK1 to the MK19, just missing my MK15, which I couldn't find right now.
I also thought I had an original SP Box labeled with MK IV, but also that one I couldn't find right now.

Attachments

• P1210118.JPG
    P1210118.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 43
  • P1210119.JPG
    P1210119.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 44
  • P1210120.JPG
    P1210120.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 37
This is the early version of the Pilot.
I was visiting Scubapro factory in 1977, and I have seen one of these prototypes on the test bench.
The final version was a bit different.
The Pilot was not invented by Scubapro engineers, they did buy the design and the patent by an American inventor (I do not remember the name).
But here you can read the whole history:
Scubapro engineers did love the principle, but not how it was executed in the Pilot.
So they re-engineered it in what became the AIR-1, with parts fully compatible with the Pilot casing.
So most Pilots were retrofitted with Air-1 parts, which made it more reliable and easier to service and to tune.
The thread you linked is essential reading for pilot fans, started by the creator of that iconic second stage.
Here is another thread from vintagescuba which mentions the never produced pilot valve prototype designed by Tony, it seems fair to assume this was the P.V.B.
Since pilots are often AIR1 converted, I tried the reverse experiment of putting pilot internals into an AIR1 case and the result is a functional regulator.

Here some pics of examples of the SP 1sts from the MK1 to the MK19, just missing my MK15, which I couldn't find right now.
I also thought I had an original SP Box labeled with MK IV, but also that one I couldn't find right now.
Very nice to be able to see all the models lined up like that.
Regarding the MK IV, do you know if the first stage is a MK V? I started wondering if there was any chance it was a MK 3 with swivel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom