Holiday Ideas February-May 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw this and chose not to reply given the suggestions already provided and the anti-Thailand comments. However, Johno has reached out by PM specifically to me to add info to the thread regarding a possible Thailand visit for his group. So here goes! (And I promise not to dis Fiji :nope: )

Thailand has a bunch of islands, some quite off the beaten path and others waypoints on that same beaten path. I am based on Phuket, Thailand's largest and busiest tourist island. Because it is so large, there's always somewhere quiet to go, despite the tourist numbers. I mention this because invariable somebody will come into a forum and go "Ewww! Phuket! Overdeveloped!" And while this is true for the main beach towns, it's certainly not true for the entire island. For a family group, it's entirely possible to rent a small villa for a few weeks and have a really quiet holiday. The reason I recommend Phuket over any other island (ANY other island) in Thailand when it comes to families is the availability of world-class medical care. When traveling with small children, having a hospital with a paediatrics department is recommended, I believe. The more rural islands have, at best, emergency outpatient clinics, while the bigger islands and provincial capitals like Krabi that have inpatient facilities routinely transfer patients to Phuket for treatment of any but the simplest cases. So to me, the medical care infrastructure that Phuket offers to families with members who are more at risk (elderly, mums-to-be, small children) is crucial. However, if you're really looking for other non-Phuket alternatives, I would recommend Koh Lanta as a supremely family-friendly destination in Thailand.

In the time frame you are looking at Johno, the Andaman Sea coast would be ideal. The weather up until mid-April to early May is dry and the seas are flat. The southwest monsoon typically starts to blow in May, bringing the spingtime rains.

We have daytrips, and we have small boats that we can charter just for your family group--catamarans for overnight trips or daytrips, or a small cabin cruiser that sleeps six. These can include diving, snorkeling, fishing, kayaking, island hopping, etc. We also have lots to do on the island in terms of nature, with sea kayaking trips up into Phang Nga Bay (UN World Heritage site), the rescue and rehabilitation center for the gibbons, nearby national parks, including the wonderful Khao Sok National Park where you can stay in a tree house overnight or on a floating bamboo hut on the lake. And so on, and, on, and on.

The culture is fantastic. The food is wonderful. The diving is accessible to all, even those with little experience, and yet interesting enough for those who are more confident divers. And then there's me, here, ready to help you organize everything, go on dives with you, offer some coaching, be a resource, etc.

I saw this and chose not to reply given the suggestions already provided and the anti-Thailand comments. However, Johno has reached out by PM specifically to me to add info to the thread regarding a possible Thailand visit for his group. So here goes! (And I promise not to dis Fiji :nope: )

Thailand has a bunch of islands, some quite off the beaten path and others waypoints on that same beaten path. I am based on Phuket, Thailand's largest and busiest tourist island. Because it is so large, there's always somewhere quiet to go, despite the tourist numbers. I mention this because invariable somebody will come into a forum and go "Ewww! Phuket! Overdeveloped!" And while this is true for the main beach towns, it's certainly not true for the entire island. For a family group, it's entirely possible to rent a small villa for a few weeks and have a really quiet holiday. The reason I recommend Phuket over any other island (ANY other island) in Thailand when it comes to families is the availability of world-class medical care. When traveling with small children, having a hospital with a paediatrics department is recommended, I believe. The more rural islands have, at best, emergency outpatient clinics, while the bigger islands and provincial capitals like Krabi that have inpatient facilities routinely transfer patients to Phuket for treatment of any but the simplest cases. So to me, the medical care infrastructure that Phuket offers to families with members who are more at risk (elderly, mums-to-be, small children) is crucial. However, if you're really looking for other non-Phuket alternatives, I would recommend Koh Lanta as a supremely family-friendly destination in Thailand.

In the time frame you are looking at Johno, the Andaman Sea coast would be ideal. The weather up until mid-April to early May is dry and the seas are flat. The southwest monsoon typically starts to blow in May, bringing the spingtime rains.

We have daytrips, and we have small boats that we can charter just for your family group--catamarans for overnight trips or daytrips, or a small cabin cruiser that sleeps six. These can include diving, snorkeling, fishing, kayaking, island hopping, etc. We also have lots to do on the island in terms of nature, with sea kayaking trips up into Phang Nga Bay (UN World Heritage site), the rescue and rehabilitation center for the gibbons, nearby national parks, including the wonderful Khao Sok National Park where you can stay in a tree house overnight or on a floating bamboo hut on the lake. And so on, and, on, and on.

The culture is fantastic. The food is wonderful. The diving is accessible to all, even those with little experience, and yet interesting enough for those who are more confident divers. And then there's me, here, ready to help you organize everything, go on dives with you, offer some coaching, be a resource, etc.
Cant argue with this either :)
we loved 'topside' Thailand . Stayed at Kata beach in an awesome apt for 10 days after our liveaboard and had a ball. Very 'touristy' but awesome food and the friendliest folk you will ever meet . Had the best New Year's Eve ever on kata beach. The diving however was just 'ok' ( the exception being Richelieu Rock) and it is for this reason that we would not go back to Thailand to dive. I'd go back in a heartbeat to see more of this most amazing country topside.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom