Hollis DG03 voluntary recall - Where is an update from Hollis??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received a response within 24 hours when I contacted them a month ago. They're probably just swamped with recall questions. The update HAS been released. Open the software and run it for gods sake.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I received a response within 24 hours when I contacted them a month ago. They're probably just swamped with recall questions. The update HAS been released. Open the software and run it for gods sake.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

i get that the software is out...that's not the point. maybe if an announcement was made on their page, it might alleviate all the recall questions.

I didn't buy the PC transfer cable. Anyone in Austin, TX have one?

Received the following from Hollis today 5/28:

The firmware update is not available yet, but it should be available shortly. It is currently going through a qualification process to ensure smooth, easy operation. We will have more information on our website when it becomes available. I hope this helps.

There is an updated HCI 2.x for the DG02 and DG03 dated 5/24/2013 available for download that does update the firmware to 1B. The readme file has the following:

• Corrected failure to update the display of tank pressure during a dive after 10 minutes on the surface prior to commencing the dive, with no indication that the pressure reading was incorrect.

I saw that DiveGearExpress has the DG03 back in stock again, with new firmware. I looked on Hollis' website and it looks like the new HCI tool version that downloads the firmware is available for download on their site. I'm traveling right now but when I get home on Tuesday I'll download the new tool, plug my DG03 into my computer and see if it pulls down the 1B firmware. Will report back with my experiences. If we haven't heard anything by next weekend, I'll ask the Hollis reps when I go to the SCUBA show up in Anaheim.

I saw that DiveGearExpress has the DG03 back in stock again, with new firmware. I looked on Hollis' website and it looks like the new HCI tool version that downloads the firmware is available for download on their site. I'm traveling right now but when I get home on Tuesday I'll download the new tool, plug my DG03 into my computer and see if it pulls down the 1B firmware. Will report back with my experiences. If we haven't heard anything by next weekend, I'll ask the Hollis reps when I go to the SCUBA show up in Anaheim.

With the new HCI everything went well. The only glitch I found in the process was restoring the dive log. It was saved before the update, but it failed to restore. That was not a big issue for me.

I find nothing on the Hollis website about the voluntary recall and the correction steps. Dive Gear Express gets kudos for providing the notification.

I updated my computer with no issues. I'll be diving it this weekend and will report if I have any problems with the 1B firmware.

For kicks, here's the notes for the new firmware version:
FIRMWARE UPDATE RELEASE DETAILS

DG03 Dive Computers to version 1B
(from previous version 1A)

EXPLANATION

In response to input received from (2) owners and users of the DG03, Hollis has corrected the following item to improve the DG03’s operation:

• Corrected failure to update the display of tank pressure during a dive after 10 minutes on the surface prior to commencing the dive, with no indication that the pressure reading was incorrect.

UPDATE PROCESS

Units affected are the DG03 dive computers containing previous versions 1A firmware (operating system software program).

Update your DG03’s firmware (operating software) to newly released revision 1B using the Check for new Firmware Update feature of the current version of the Hollis PC interface program. There is no need to return the unit to Hollis.

HCI (Hollis Computer Interface) is available on the Hollis Gear - Scuba & Technical Diving Equipment/Supplies web site.

Should you have any questions, please contact your Authorized Hollis Dealer, or Hollis Customer Service by calling 888-383-3483 (8AM -5PM, PST Monday - Friday) or send an email to info@hollisgear.com.

Doc. No. 12-4104-r01 (5/16/13)

So here's something fun.

I got my first dive in post-firmware upgrade. Dove two tanks, ALU 80s. All was well until I tried to import my data into my mac. It crashed Subsurface, but listed tank one as a dive to 256ft for over an hour shortly before crashing. It was a 34 minute dive to 108ft. The second dive showed correctly.

I installed Hollis' software in a Windows VM and it did manage to import the data without crashing, but still shows the bad numbers. The dive profile is interesting...it shows a large chunk of time at about 10ft, in between two sections of the actual dive. I'll post a screenshot when I am able to. I am also diving tonight, so I'll see if any subsequent dives are corrupted.

Is anybody else having issues after upgrading to firmware 1B?

I have not had a chance to dive since the update. I have a full dive schedule this weekend and will see how things go.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom