Hollis Tec gear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, I am new to diving but am looking to purchace basci tec gear for future endeavors. I am a Undergrad student currently studying population dynamics in humback whale populations, and will be doing coral reef research in a couple years, so i wanted to get gear that was in line with scientific diving. Now some people on this forum have been very helpful in pointing me to the back plate wing desgin. So I wanted to ask you tec divers if what i was looking to buy is good or can i get away with something good just cheaper (diffrent brand name, not trying to skimp on quality). I am looking to purchace Hollis Elite back plate for 130.00; Hollis x37 wing for 175.00 (I am 155 pounds, is a 37 lb lift capacity bladder is that to much or not enough for me?) Scuba Pro G250V with MK 25 for 600.00; and am still looking for gauges and a secondary reg. (if you have input on a reg set up that i can get for les that would be great, i have a certain amount and the remainder i would like to put towards my Advanced Open water and Search and recovery diver certs, if possible).
I'd wait until you are positive you can take decompression and/or depths under 130 fsw / 40 msw but aside from that or if you are Posotive you can do it go for it. I personally buy Hollis Gear from Cave Adventurers in Marriana Florida the guys there are great. They have an online store but that is just the lowest they can advertise online. If you get a chance to meet Edd Sorenson he's a great guy and Jay and Frank are great sidemount divers

I found using a STA and the 6lbs adaptor helped distribute the weight across my back while diving with a dry suit. My trim has greatly improved after I transitioned to it. I got my halcyon eclips with a STA and adaptor with weight pouches for front and back for $450 on SB more than 1/2 of a new one.

If you are not in a rush to buy then you might want to consider waiting till Christmas time. I've seen some really good discounts 10-15% off.

Best of luck!!!!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom