Holy Bull Sharks, Batman!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grey2112

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, my neighbor, me, a few other divers, and my brother (who was visiting from Seattle and has never spearfished before) decide to go dive the Pyramid about 12 miles from Hooters in Pasco county. Viz was decent, lots of baitfish, some spanish mackerel, goliaths, and I even saw a ton of big snook. My buddy gives me the "shark" handsign and I figure it is the resident reef shark. Well, surprise surprise - I see 3 bull sharks circling the structure, and one got real close to me and my stringer of fish a few times - had to almost poke him in the snout. So I come back up and my brother's eyes are huge. He had shot his second fish, reached back to grab his stringer, and just as he pulled it forward of his body/side he gets bumped by a bull shark, and then it turns, comes straight back at him and takes his fish on the shaft, and drags off the speargun!

We went 200 yards away to a ledge and got back in, and the sharks followed us - got back out and counted six of them on the top - I guess they are moving through the area - hope they are gone before scallop season begins!

I now know why my divemaster/friend who trained me insisted on me having a quick-release stringer!

There's a pretty crazy story from a few years back where a few SB insta buddies (some who are now very good friends) were diving off a private boat over near there. They basically got chased outa the water by a bull..
It was just about this time of year, too... hmmm....

That's a fun story to tell.

And I bet your brother will get a ton of mileage out of it when he gets back up north.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom