holy dogfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel298

Reaction score
Did some diving on the Teti yesterday (tug boat in about 95 feet of water)
nice dive about 30 feet of viz
during my acent at about 70 feet i came into this huge shcool of dog fish more than i could count. everywhere i looked
it was pretty neat.
no sign of them on the second dive
but the viz cleared up a bit, and the vertical viz was good too..
at about 40 feet i could read the nane on the bow of boat
water temp at the bottom was 55
all and all was a great day

Seems like a good year for dogfish with you, first the monster dogfish on the Black Point and now the school of dogfish on the Teti. :D

Diesel298:
Did some diving on the Teti yesterday (tug boat in about 95 feet of water)
nice dive about 30 feet of viz
during my acent at about 70 feet i came into this huge shcool of dog fish more than i could count. everywhere i looked
it was pretty neat.
no sign of them on the second dive
but the viz cleared up a bit, and the vertical viz was good too..
at about 40 feet i could read the nane on the bow of boat
water temp at the bottom was 55
all and all was a great day

a couple of weeks ago we went out to egg rock and dove right into a school of dog fish. there had to be a least fifty of them and they sure weren't scared of us. kept coming right up to us. i thought it was pretty neat, but i think my dive buddy was a little scared of them. second dive was the same. good thing they weren't hungry

nite_diver

RIOceanographer:
Seems like a good year for dogfish with you, first the monster dogfish on the Black Point and now the school of dogfish on the Teti. :D
Yeah. these where not as big as the ones i saw on the black point a few months ago tho.....
for the last 4 years ive never seen any and this year there everywhere

Dove Saturday near Halibut Point. Dogfish everywhere during the dive, up to 4-5 footers. Must have been hundreds. After we came in the harbormaster told us someone caught a 15' mako near there earlier that day.

I've seen plenty of schols of dogfish at depth, but I've never, ever seen dogfish at our Honey Hole in Plymouth until today. There were a few that just wouldn't quit (at least a few as far as I could tell with the limitied viz). I lift my head up from checking out a lobster hidey-hole and I'm staring one in the eye point blank. They just kept coming back for a thrashing from my tickle stick. I must have whacked one 8 times. I can't imagine what they would have done if I had a flounder or two in my catch bag. Man, they were agressive!

Other than the 3-10 foot viz, it was a nice afternoon. I grabbed 5 keepers, and we introduced Lobstaman to the Honey Hole. (Now we'll have to kill him unless he buys a boat!)

Jack, what Honey Hole? I didn't see anything.

Speaking of dogfish, I finally saw one today diving w/ ScubaStew off Harding's Ledge. Curious and seemed to be following us, but not aggressive at all. In fact, he kept his distance. Probably around 2 1/2 to 3 feet long. Other than that, not many lobsters. Although, we did grab(and return!) one lobzilla 1/2" over the max that appeared to have recently molted. Seas were a bit rough and the swell was noticeable even at 40fsw.

LobstaMan

I'm sure that distance was completely unintentional.

LobstaMan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom