Holy stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swedish diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Where I live, service of regs is something associated with almost a religous overtone. I was wondering if there was any way one could learn how to SAFELY service regs (Apeks, TX series for me).
I'm pretty handy myself, and don't see any reason why I couldn't do it better than the guy on the service-center (with the rigth education, that is).

See you

/Kristian

PS. Did some really great wreck diving today outside the swedish west-coast.

Hi

check out www.airspeedpress.com.
NOTE: i am not encouraging you to service your own regs.! If you defenitly wanna do it better buy your self this book! And try to do it with someone who has exprience with Apeks series..

BTW: de Apeks and SP's are easier to maintain then many other brands like Poseidon's. These are very sensitive (i heard from a friend....)

Good luck, xerxes

but getting the parts can be tricky if you have not had a service technician course from the manufacturer. Most shops will not sell you the parts.

Check out this thread:

Do you service your own regs

Has a discussion (somewhat heated at times) on pros/cons, and some good links and where to get info on servicing, parts, and even how to wrangle yourself onto a course on servicing.

Shaneel=-)

Aren't there repair seminars offered at DEMA by each manufacturer? I don't know much about DEMA, but I think you have to sponsered by a dive shop in order to attend. But, you might be able to get a repair certificate there. I don't know if that qualifies you to buy the kits, but it would be a good thing to sit in on.

Originally posted by scubabunny
Aren't there repair seminars offered at DEMA by each manufacturer? I don't know much about DEMA, but I think you have to sponsered by a dive shop in order to attend. But, you might be able to get a repair certificate there. I don't know if that qualifies you to buy the kits, but it would be a good thing to sit in on.
And therein lies the ticket to painless regulator maintenance. If you have a shop nearby; if you can work the deal... get them to sponsor you at DEMA, take the course, do a little part time work at the LDS in exchange for the parts for your own regs and the use of the proper special tools... painless and fun, and by becoming a "shop rat" all sorts of other little bennies will surface to make your diving more frequent and fun.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom