Hooded jumpsuit vs. Hooded farmer john

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divebouy

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently in the market for a new wetsuit and understand that the farmer john wet suit is the warmest suit possible because of the double coverage in the torso. I was wondering if the hooded farmer john would even be warmer because there is no water passing through the neck area since there would be a hood attached? Are the new jumpsuit style with hood attached any better? Is the jumpsuit style any more restrictive than the farmer johns? Do most people wear less weight with the jumpsuit as opposed to farmer johns? I don't get cold that easily, but I mainly dive monterey and my last suit was a farmer john style and I usually get cold towards the end of the second or begging of the third dive. I mainly do boat dives and my average depth is 80-85ft. Wouldn't a jumpsuit style compress more at depth, therefore losing the ability to insulate? I know there are alot of people using drysuits in this area, but I can't justify spending that much money especially since I don't dive that much. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions on either style of suits.

I wear a no-hood jumpsuit that's been just fine for me so far down to 85' in SoCal. I'm planning to get a hooded vest to wear under it when things start getting cold. I found the hooded jumpsuits I was renting to be really restrictive.

When I was diving wet, I used a hooded vest when cold. You gain a lot of flexibility, in that you can opt out of wearing the vest, and just use a hood, if it gets a little warmer.

I just got a Pinnacle semi dry hooded jump suit, and I love it. Did five boat dives last weekend off Anacapa, with the deepest at 120' and was never cold (and I am very cold blooded). I never got any water into the suit. I also didn't feel as restricted as I did in the Suba Pro I had been renting which didn't have a hood. It is all personal preference though, you just need to try them on.

I went from a farmer john (6.5mm) to a 7mm jumpsuit. When diving wet in cold water I add a 5mm hooded vest. I do not feel as confined in the jumpsuit and can take it off by myself. I always needed help to peel of my F.J. jacket.
Tim

One of my buddies has 7mm one piece Scubamax (w/no hood)that cost him $180 and he never gets cold diving year round in Monterey.
I'm still using a $450 Xcel 976 hooded one piece and I real warm when in water through out the year.
A one piece definately uses less weight and gives more flexability.
Proper sizing is the key for wet suits.

Back
Top Bottom