hookah building... beginner diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I have never used a hookah (other than a long hose hooked to a scuba cylinder) so just reading the specs on the hookah, some questions that I saw were obvious.

1) Output was 6cfm @ 65 psi, 5 @ 90psi, but he regs are listed as custom "125psi" -- what would be the cfm at the working pressure?
2) With the knowledge of the output, do you know what your SAC is, and convert that cfm usage at depth? Without a diving history, that is pretty hard to estimate, so it might work--wouldn't you like to KNOW it is enough before spending >$1000?
3) There are a couple of ways of running a hookah hose (harness configurations) that make this style of diving much more comfortable--what are your thoughts on that?
4) Since most planning involves worst case scenarios, what is your "worst case scenario" protocol? The reason I ask this question is because I meet divers who don't have a clue on this, even though they should.

I have nothing to object to the hookah listed, I just don't have a frame of reference, based on your experience, to give an intelligent answer; hence, I give you questions.

Have fun in your class.

ok,,,,, i get it,,, whats everyones opinion on this hooka? The Hookamax G2005C i looked it up on their web site and read up on it a bit,,, looks like a pretty decent system,,, click here and it should take you rt to their web page....... Hookamax Dive Systems what do you guys think about this one?
Hookamax is one of those really, really low-budget hookah sellers (along with Gulfstream Hookah) that simply buys the same POS Chinese-made oilless air compressors that you can buy at Home Depot, slaps some cheap (hopefully) breathing-grade air hose on it and a second stage and then pimps the sh*t on their web sites and ebay ads like it's purpose-built, high quality surface supplied air equipment. I mean seriously, the pic in the link you provided has their crappy compressor floating in a $40 inflatable pool toy! Give me a break. :shakehead:

These bottom-of-the-line hookahs will work, but if I'm you, I'd buy a real hookah from a reputable seller like Brownie's, Airline or Super Snorkel. The prices are comparable (at least at Super Snorkel) and the gear is high quality recreational-level stuff that will give you years of good, safe service, unlike the junk you get from these low-budget con artists.

hey tropical,, thanks man,, at least theirs one decent person in here,, and i see a few others put up useful info,, thanks guys... i also got a few of my questions answered and i found out that not a single "hooka" company produces their own compressors,, one in particular just buys contractors grade compressors from northern tools and they add a piece of home depos electricians sealtight to raise the air intake,, then they switch the manfacturers stickers with their own stickers,,, then triple the price... god,,, building a hooka is sooo hard,,lol,,,, theirs one and only one true rule to hooka diving,, if you cannot make a instant and free ascent to the surface you do not belong their,,,other then that you listen to the compressor running and bail out if it stops,,, plain and simple... i am building a hooka and i'll save a cpl grand on it,,, im useing the compressor that i just referanced by northern tools,, Industrial Air Contractor Pontoon Air Compressor with Honda OHC/OHV Engine — 4 Gallon, 155 PSI, Model# CTA5090412 | Gas Powered Air Compressors | Northern Tool + Equipment anyway thanks again,, good diving to ya

The reason people deride low-budget hookah sellers (like Gulfstream or Hookamax) is because they base their units on the very same POS compressor (or other, similar Chinese junk) that you plan to use. Good luck with that.

wow......a Honda OHC/OHV Engine is junk,,,im guessing you dont know much about small engines,,,, the compressor is oil less and puts out plenty of cfm's for shallow dives,,,,, i do agree that the tanks are crap,,, steel will obviously rust,,,, thats y im replaceing them with twin stainless steel 5 gl tanks,,,, im a beginner,,,,, not stupid,,,,,,,,,,,,,, oh,,, byw.... what isnt made in china or japan? just so you understand,,, assembled in america does not mean the parts are made here....

I can't think of a quality hookah that doesn't use an American-made Thomas compressor. But you're all certified now and clearly know everything there is to know about hookahs. So knock yourself out, junior. You'll go far with that attitude of yours, I'm sure.

Thomas employs over 900 people at three manufacturing sites in North America, Europe and Asia, as well as Thomas Sales, Service and Distribution locations across the globe.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm directly taken from their homepage,,,,,,,,, did you get the part where it said "asia" are we done yet? can we be civil?

Look sport, you're in over your head. Thomas compressors are manufactured in the U.S. I've been earning my living with them since before you could drive.

lol.. look dude,, i got no quarrel with you,,, i'm not gonna argue with you,,, but i do gotta ask,,, what makes you think im a kid? i'm 47 years old,,, been around the block a few times,,, i just state the facts,,, i only came to this site figureing that skilled and qualified people would be the ones to ask,, and to learn a few things about diving and i asked a few questions,, still none of my questions have been answered but my balls got steped on over and over,,, im not looking to go 100 - 60 or even 40 ft deep,,, between 15 and 20 feet is deep enough to do what i want... and i would probably freeze to death at 20 ft long before the aprox hour and a half that i would need to decompress,,, so i do not need a 5000 dollar hookah,,,, whatever,,, you can have your "forums" im done with this site anyway.. again,, thanks to the few who actually tried to be helpful

Back
Top Bottom