Horizon divers and side mount training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did they use a drop line for tanks or did you gear up with tanks and shuffle to the back of the boat to splash? Just wondering if they've changed their side mount boat procedures since 2011....

For me I just geared up with main tanks and splashed then the crew handed me my deco bottle. I prefer this over drop lines. Seems to me they are a little more trouble than they are worth. For someone who doesn't like heavy tanks and moving around on a pitching deck, I certainly understand the drop line method and have used it myself on occasion.

They really did not like my preference for using a drop line. I can understand that, that's fine. The real issue was exit. The ladder on the side of their big boat is too narrow for a diver with two sidemounted tanks and two stage bottles without handing up at least two tanks. And especially if you are new with multiple tanks and sidemount that can take time.

All of this said, I don't want to lose track of the main point: I like diving with them; Dan is a good instructor; i've recommended them to friends who had a good experience; I plan to dive with them again.

I agree the main issue was the exit for the ladder issue you mentioned and the fact that I was not allowed to hand tanks up to the crew upon exit. I also agree that Dan is a good instructor. After my sidemount/Tec 40 class I recommended Horizon to my brother and his son and they reported they had a good expirience diving with them.

Wow! I never knew the Keys offered and taught SM diving. Hopfully it is better than most of the OW classes I see going on down there.

Huh. Unfortunate about not being allowed to hand up deco tanks.

Oh you're allowed certainly. They'll do it. They just don't really get that it's necessary for *everyone* and they get a bit prissy about it.

I've recently completed Tec40 & 45 on sidemount with Horizon Divers. I worked with two of their instructors who are very experienced sidemount divers. After completing a local sidemount course 2 years ago and using my SMS 100, I thought that my skills were fairly good. However, after I started the course with Horizon they corrected lots of things that I was doing wrong which were never addressed in my original sidemount course. I am extremely happy that I chose to complete my courses with them as they train so many tech divers and have really refined their teaching skills. I would highly recommend Horizon divers for any instruction but specifically tech sidemount. They specifically corrected my equipment setup, trim, hose routing and regulator attachment on the rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom