Hose Management - Reducing the number of hoses Vs better routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My SDI card says "Solo Diver" not "Selfish Diver".

It's about planning for where YOU are going to get help from... not planning to limit your ability/willingness to help others. Sure, some solo dives are one person off somewhere remote by themselves... but most are usually done in and among a group of other divers. I'm not saying that a solo diver needs to go out of their way to plan to be everyone's buddy... but there's no reason to plan/configure yourself with a specific goal of ensuring that you are UNABLE to provide help should the situation/opportunity arise.

How does having a redundant air source instead of an octopus ensure you are UNABLE to help another diver?

Also shouldn't a diver configure themselves in the way he wants to dive? For example if someone wants to dive vintage or without a BC.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2015 at 12:11 PM ----------

Of course one failing is not going to cause the other to fail!

But if one is free flowing the second one attached to the same air source is not going to much good to you for very long.

It only needs to be good enough to get you to the surface safely.

How does having a redundant air source instead of an octopus ensure you are UNABLE to help another diver?

Also shouldn't a diver configure themselves in the way he wants to dive? For example if someone wants to dive vintage or without a BC.

You're coming across as saying "unless you specifically plan/configure to be unable to render assistance, you're not solo diving" which is different than "the way many solo divers plan/configure has the additional impact of rendering them unable to provide assistance."

I solo dive. All the time. I plan for it. I configure for it. I'm trained for it. I'm certified for it. However, the way I happen to configure for solo diving includes keeping my standard 7ft primary/bungied alt reg setup in place even though I may be diving with a redundant air source. Why do I do this? On the outside chance I might need to donate my gas to someone who needs it. By your statements... I'm therefor NOT diving solo.

It's one thing to say "I don't use a 7ft hose when solo because I don't need it." It's another to say "I ditch the 7ft when solo diving so that no one else can have it... otherwise I'm not truly diving solo."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom