Hose routing on independent twin setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thing is you can dive an isolation manifold with the center valve OFF and yet still retain the extra capacity.

You don't have to convice me of the values of that setup and the Rule of Thirds and the 500 psi switcharoo, I dove it for years until I quit that type of diving but by the end something better had come along and that is the isolation valve.

Outside of cave diving however, I don't get the sidemount other than to be different?

N

As I posted earlier I went to Independent Doubles primarily because when I travel manifolded doubles are hard to come by. On the other hand single tanks are plentiful. The local tanks can be mounted on the diver's back with one of the mounts that are available. Or, by using the proper rings and rigging slung much like a sidemount, or even just as a sidemount. Lots of versatility with IDs.

But, Manifolded Doubles do have an advantage in that the isolation valve allows more flexible access to gas in both cylinders for mulitiple divers. By manipulating the valves all the available gas can be directed to both regulators. Whereas, with IDs since there is only one regulator on each cylinder it could happen that a person would end up having to buddy breath. I suspect there aren't many divers who know how to do that.

But lots of times which configuration is best depends more on what the team is using than on any particular technical factor. If everyone on a team is configured very close to the same it makes things a bit safer, at least theoretically. On the other hand if you are diving solo it is really more personal preference than anything else.

Whereas, with IDs since there is only one regulator on each cylinder it could happen that a person would end up having to buddy breath. I suspect there aren't many divers who know how to do that.

That could only happen with 2 failures (3 if both divers are on independants) With proper gas management each tank should always have enough gas to get one diver back to the surface. So long as you have one working tank per diver you are O.K.

Buddy breathing is not that hard but I would not want to do it for hours. I would hope that anybody diving doubles/deco could handle it but I might be dreaming there!!

Outside of cave diving however, I don't get the sidemount other than to be different?
N

My main reason for heading down that route is caves (well.one cave in particular to be precise)

Sidemount has several extra advantages though:
Dont have to carry manifolded 104's !!!!
Easier to see and fix problems as the valves are at your side not behind your head.
Can hand a tank off to another diver.
Wont get called a stroke for diving independants.

Thing is you can dive an isolation manifold with the center valve OFF and yet still retain the extra capacity.
Yeah, that way none of the big kids will make fun of you:rofl3:

That could only happen with 2 failures (3 if both divers are on independants) With proper gas management each tank should always have enough gas to get one diver back to the surface. So long as you have one working tank per diver you are O.K.

Buddy breathing is not that hard but I would not want to do it for hours. I would hope that anybody diving doubles/deco could handle it but I might be dreaming there!!

But there WILL be two failures if there is one failure. Remember, that is why we carry threee lights; so one will be left after the primary and the first backup both fail. Or, at least that is the operating rule.

In fact, equipment failures of any kind are a lot like actual DCS; talked about a lot more than they happen.

But there WILL be two failures if there is one failure. Remember, that is why we carry threee lights; so one will be left after the primary and the first backup both fail. Or, at least that is the operating rule.

In fact, equipment failures of any kind are a lot like actual DCS; talked about a lot more than they happen.
If you are planning your dives around multiple failure modes you need to carry a lot of equipment. There are way too many combinations and permutations that can be conceived if you are planning on surviving multiple, simutanious failures.

C.mon... Before talking about a failure point, do the maintenance right.

The most important thing is how to make advantage of each gear configuration and proper maintenance before the diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom