Hot water suits for scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's possible, but a self contained system that uniformly distributed heat similar to what astronauts wear would be very expensive and high maintenance.

Electric heaters have far fewer potential failure points.
In the 1980s there was a thermos like device and air from the 1st stage would go through a coil in hot water before going to the 2nd stage regulator. Since I never saw one in person, I’ll assume it was a dud. Skin Diver Magazine never met a piece of gear they didn’t love….

How would this be different from the electric heaters already available?
... just think how luxurious it would be to dive in bathtub warm water in a 48 degree ocean.
That would be the difference. IF it could be done, it would feel nicer than a heated undergarment.

It’s nice to be dry back on the boat.

Even on a RIB racing back to port, it’s cold in a wetsuit as it evaporates in the wind.

It’s nice to be dry back on the boat.

Even on a RIB racing back to port, it’s cold in a wetsuit as it evaporates in the wind.
That’s true.
However, when I used to wear a drysuit I sweat so bad that I was soaked inside and when I took off the suit I froze anyway. I don’t know which way is worse.
I just use a cover up and that seems to work OK.
My dive buddy will take off his suit on shore in between dives and put on sweats. Seems like a lot if work but he is also a surfer and that’s what they do.

When I used to dive off a RIB…

Back on the boat when it was about to speed off there was nothing so warm as filling the suit with air. Like luxury.

Nowadays it’s out of the water on a dive lift, get the rig off and tied down, then drysuit off with the mandatory pee valve flush, back in the cabin to chew the cud and scoff the sarnies. Maybe even have a kip in the forepeak.

Luxury!

Back
Top Bottom