Hotel Cozumel or Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Heading to CZM tomorrow. My buddy is heading down on Thursday. We can get city view rooms at Casa Mexicana where I have stayed multiple times. I mainly stay there for the breakfast buffet and it's been cheap, cheap, cheap in the past. Now, it's about $178/night with a city view room. I am debating at staying at the Wyndham Hotel Cozumel property. Can anyone provide some advice about the Wyndham property on this short notice? If you have a better recommendation close to town, I'm willing to hear it. TIA.

Edit: Never mind. Wyndham now says they are sold out.

i have never stayed at casa mexicana but those prices do seem high.

we have stayed at hotel coz (wyndham) a few times and really liked it. but their pricing has gone up substantially as well.

obviously they are not right in town but is close enough that you can walk in easily enough.

they do offer breakfast only or the full AI. great pool area. rooms were simple but a decent size and very clean. they have a pier there and an on site dive op as well. we also enjoyed the shallow shore ding there at night.

What dive op are you using? Sometimes the dive op I use (Tres Pelicanos) put a package deal with Casa Mexicana, Wyndham/Hotel Coz, Suites Colonial (which has continental breakfast), and others -- even if the hotel shows as sold out online. I don't recall seeing Casa Mexicana rates that high before.

Heading to CZM tomorrow. My buddy is heading down on Thursday. We can get city view rooms at Casa Mexicana where I have stayed multiple times. I mainly stay there for the breakfast buffet and it's been cheap, cheap, cheap in the past. Now, it's about $178/night with a city view room. I am debating at staying at the Wyndham Hotel Cozumel property. Can anyone provide some advice about the Wyndham property on this short notice? If you have a better recommendation close to town, I'm willing to hear it. TIA.

Edit: Never mind. Wyndham now says they are sold out.
Casa Mexicana continues to raise prices it seems. You could try their sister hotel Suites Colonial. I have stayed there numerous times and is right downtown and quiet and clean. I just checked the prices for a room and also the larger suites and checking in tomorrow for 7 nights is $600 to $650 before taxes. Here is a link: Suites Colonial Cozumel

They used to allow you to walk over for the buffet at Casa Mexicana included in stay. Now they do their own breakfast on site.

What dive op are you using? Sometimes the dive op I use (Tres Pelicanos) put a package deal with Casa Mexicana, Wyndham/Hotel Coz, Suites Colonial (which has continental breakfast), and others -- even if the hotel shows as sold out online. I don't recall seeing Casa Mexicana rates that high before.
Whenever you are booking a hotel directly, make sure that the website you are looking at is really the website for the hotel. There are unscrupulous people who build their own websites that can fool you into thinking that you are looking at the hotel's site, and they will book your room with a substantial upcharge.

I got burned for over US$200 by one of these sites for a hotel room in Boston last summer. They did book the room but it was for way more than the rack rate. The site was nearly identical to the hotel's real website, with the same photos, amenities list, etc.

You can also get a 2 bed suite at Suites Colonial for $630 taxes included beginning tomorrow for 7 nights. It is across the street from Tres Pelicanos dive shop and on the corner of 5th Avenida and 5th Calle Sur. A block from the waterfront: ApartHotel | Quinta Suites | Downtown Cozumel Apartments | San Miguel De Cozumel

i have also stayed here more than once and have a trip report on here about it:

I was at Wyndham a few weeks ago. There was a profound diesel smell all week. A trip advisor search showed that others previously noticed it as well. Maybe some construction nearby? Our room did not have any dresser/credenza or night tables.. only a fridge. That was a huge PIA. Everything had to be on the floor in suitcases. Apparently many rooms were like this. Management said rooms were undergoing “renovations” and no other rooms were available. I didn’t see any contractors. I thought it odd that they wouldn’t leave furniture in, then shut down the room for a day or so while being refurbished. The rooms have indoor hammocks. Even the lowliest Motel 6 gives you places to put clothes and items. The lockers at Dive Paradise are terrible… solid door and all tiled inside. No ventilation at all. If you wanted to design a scuba gear storage space to maximize wetness retention and gear stink… this is it. There are drying racks but they can be full and gear will not dry completely anyway. You must put gear in the locker or take back to your room to free up drying racks and avoid theft. The shore dive is decent, lots of rays, eels. The dive operations seemed ok, I don’t have any other Coz experience to compare it to. Many people love this place and return year after year. My next trip to Coz will be someplace else. I was snooping around the PADI travel site and Wyndham had some space towards the end of March. Casa del Mar seemed to have lots of spaces.

I was at Hotel Cozumel during the furniture issue and I think it's been taken care of. New furniture was ordered but delayed & staff had cleared out the old stuff. There was a lot of confusion because the front desk staff is new & so is the computer system. Workers didn't tell the front desk the furniture had been removed or from whatever room as far as I heard. The renovations seemed to be done using existing staff.
The lockers belong to the hotel & not Dive Paradise. Divers can use them free of charge & I suspect they were there for divers from day 1 but that is just a guess.

For less then ½ of that 178 / nt, I'd go to casa del mar... I can get a fully furnished condo for cheaper than that 😳

I am using Julio Kin. I've dove with Tres Pelicanos in the past, but just didn't feel the love with them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom