Hotel near Marina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have worked through the same question and staying in town is better. The restaurants mid island are okay but nothing compared to downtown.

Cozumel runs 24/7.
Where have you been after 10pm? My experience, anything music-related or club like is non-existent 24/7 and while there are a few places serving food or drinks late, more than half the seats are empty.

I probably should have asked for a "hotel location" and not a "hotel", I'm not looking for recommendations on nicer hotels. Quinta was within budget, but really much too nice for me.

The food near the cruise piers is good, but I found that the further you move away, the better and more interesting things get. I considered staying way out near El Morro, but getting to the marina is impractical. I walked north along the coast past the last big road, Antonio Gonzalez Fernandez, and it can be nice to escape the crowds, but this is too quiet and isolated. Going South, I never made it much further than Mega, and although everything stays touristy, it doesn't seem to end.

I am also in Mexico nearly a full two weeks. I plan to get my share of good food and land-based adventure in Playa del Carmen, Merida and just about everything in between before ferrying to Cozumel. The rest of my trip will be scuba focused.

I don't know what sort of night life you are looking for, but (for example) there is a dance club at the Caletita near the lighthouse that goes every night until midnight or later. Cozumel is not the sleepy little island that it used to be.

I probably should have asked for a "hotel location" and not a "hotel", I'm not looking for recommendations on nicer hotels. Quinta was within budget, but really much too nice for me.

The food near the cruise piers is good, but I found that the further you move away, the better and more interesting things get. I considered staying way out near El Morro, but getting to the marina is impractical. I walked north along the coast past the last big road, Antonio Gonzalez Fernandez, and it can be nice to escape the crowds, but this is too quiet and isolated. Going South, I never made it much further than Mega, and although everything stays touristy, it doesn't seem to end.

I am also in Mexico nearly a full two weeks. I plan to get my share of good food and land-based adventure in Playa del Carmen, Merida and just about everything in between before ferrying to Cozumel. The rest of my trip will be scuba focused.
If Quinta is out of your budget range the the Presidente surely will be as well. It is the oldest luxury hotel on the island and one of the most expensive places to stay.

It always strikes me a little funny when tourists complain about things on Cozumel being "touristy". :D

It always strikes me a little funny when tourists complain about things on Cozumel being "touristy". :D
Why? Most tourists are touring because they want to see a new place, meet new people, try new foods, etc. They aren't usually looking to spend all their time around a crowd of other tourists (except for the boat people, I guess). Granted, many need to bring or find a security blanket with them (a choice of "American" style food, a fancy hotel, people who speak English, etc.) but if they wanted only those things, most of them would just stay at home. Not all tourists are "travelers," but most want to see/experience something different than what they get at home. Maybe an exception to this is a subset of divers who only want to dive and can care less about the culture, just the quality of the diving.
Ix Kool is the top restaurant on tripadvisor, and if I do get a blow out day or two, I could walk either to El Cedral or the cruise ship area if I really wanted to.

Has anyone stayed near the marina? What is it like? Is this a good idea for different restaurants and bars and local spots? Or is this just going to be all-inclusives, isolated, and too far away from anything I want to see?
Ix Kool is a restaurant in a chain based in Mexico City and has a huge marketing apparatus behind it to push its reviews higher. It was built to prey on the cruise ship business during the day and sell "cooking tour" dinners during the night. It advertises "authentic Maya Cuisine," but it is nothing to write home about. They have a slick video presentation going on all the time in the restaurant that is full of culinary and historical BS, one goofy statement after the other. If you want a primer on "Maya Food," read my book The True History of the Foods of Yucatan. If you do end up going there, try the pork in pipian sauce. Depending on how you spell "Kool" (or "Cool") it can mean milpa or whore. "Ix" is the feminine identifier.

The choices of food near the Marina will be very poor as compared to downtown.

I doubt you want to walk to Cedral. Bike, maybe. Long way with nothing to see on the way. Cedral is mostly just a collection of weekend homes that old Cozumeleno families use to get away from the downtown hustle and bustle once in a while or to stay in during the May fair. The ruin next to the church has been completely rebuilt and now looks nothing like it did before they rebuilt it for the tourists. Try not to be in Cedral when the tour buses arrive.

Solo traveler, I was in Cozumel this time last year, diving with Tres Pelicanos and staying at Quinta Suites. I liked both, and might do exactly the same thing again. But I wanted to at least consider other options. One thought was to stay closer to the marina instead of taking the shuttle. I walked and biked a lot, but never that far south, so I don't really know what was there. I'd like to spend more time away from the cruise ships. Ix Kool is the top restaurant on tripadvisor, and if I do get a blow out day or two, I could walk either to El Cedral or the cruise ship area if I really wanted to.

Every different dive shop seems to leave from the same Marina, so I either way want to be near there, or near transportation going there.

Aldora is the exception, being far north, but seems too isolated for a solo traveler.

I do not want all-inclusive, as the there are too many awesome food choices.

I will be bringing a large camera rig this time. I am not sure how much will stay with me, or with the dive shop.

Has anyone stayed near the marina? What is it like? Is this a good idea for different restaurants and bars and local spots? Or is this just going to be all-inclusives, isolated, and too far away from anything I want to see?

If you are staying downtown, Salty Endeavors can get you from the downtown public piers so you can avoid shuttles or taxis. We pick up at over 30 piers on island, so no matter where you stay you are not far from the pier. There are also several nice hotels and vacations rentals north of town which we service as well. Many options!

If Quinta is out of your budget range the the Presidente surely will be as well. It is the oldest luxury hotel on the island and one of the most expensive places to stay.

It isn't about budget or how nice or bad a hotel is - I wanted to clarify I am asking about locations and not amenities. I've paid twice what I did for Quinta for a dumpy room half the size - not in Cozumel, but other places. I am not looking for better amenities or a lower price. If I keep the same location I will probably go back to Quinta.

Mexico has some of the best food I've ever eaten. The most expensive locations that get the most traffic include Starbucks, Senor Frogs, Hooters and the sort of food I can eat back home when I go out but don't unless I have no choice. I don't know if tourists actually want this crap or if business people think tourists want it. But either way, I want to avoid it.

I don't know what sort of night life you are looking for, but (for example) there is a dance club at the Caletita near the lighthouse that goes every night until midnight or later. Cozumel is not the sleepy little island that it used to be.

I am not looking for anything specific. When I picture Latin America (not from first hand experience) I imagine high energy dance clubs with DJ's until sunrise and live musicians playing to small crowds. I don't need that if I am diving in the morning, but if I am not (for whatever reason) I'd rather go out than stay in my hotel.

Back
Top Bottom