Hotel/Pier construction upcoming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do NOT dive with Aquaworld, the shop at the Park Royal. Others have given you great suggestions on who to dive with in the above posts.

Christi also owns Blue XT~Sea, one of the most established boutique dive ops on the island. You'll be able to dive your tanks. bluextseadiving.com

Please be aware that some dive ops, including at least one previously mentioned here, require the entire group to ascend as a group when the first diver runs low on air and/or encourage the unwise practice of air sharing with the DM.

I edited my post Mossman. I originally had a bit about my experience with Blue XT Sea Diving.. However, I apparently deleted it during my editing.

I appreciate everyone's response and, as always, great information regarding the diving GEM of Cozumel. I am definitely confident now in going with a boutique dive operation and steering clear of the resort operation. Also eased much anxiety with construction and renovations during our vacation. I am putting together some ops that have been regarded highly in this forum and will begin to put the finishing touches on what should be an amazing vacation. Now I just have to find a way to make a GoPro seem a necessity for this dive trip!!!:wink: Larry, Awesome pics btw. So excited!!
Dave

I appreciate everyone's response and, as always, great information regarding the diving GEM of Cozumel. I am definitely confident now in going with a boutique dive operation and steering clear of the resort operation. Also eased much anxiety with construction and renovations during our vacation. I am putting together some ops that have been regarded highly in this forum and will begin to put the finishing touches on what should be an amazing vacation. Now I just have to find a way to make a GoPro seem a necessity for this dive trip!!!:wink: Larry, Awesome pics btw. So excited!!
Dave

Check into Cabilito Del Caribe as well. Their shop may not look like much but they are outstanding. The DM's and captains are top notch and the dives usually consist of 4-6 people. They will take suggestions on where to dive that day and usually go with it unless conditions aren't up to par. Sometimes, they will come pick you up at your hotel instead of having to head to the pier, depending on where you stay.

Dave

Another op you might consider is Blue Angel. Their shop is easy walking distance from the Park Royal and they provide free tanks for shore diving if you dive with them. They are a great op to dive with (my op of choice as well as my hotel of choice). They are small-ish (3 boats) and economical to dive with. They do not engage in the practice of making everyone come up together.

Dave

Park Royal wont be doing any work. It's a great AI to stay at with wives while you dive. It is what I do.

Pick a good dive op that will handle your gear for you. You can use the Aqua World pier at the Park Royal for pick ups and drop offs. You go over to their shop and pay $5 for a bracelet to use their pier for a week. Drop your gear with your dive op and you don't have to touch it for the rest of the week (I keep my mask, snorkel and fins for snorkeling at the hotel or on excursion).

Your wife/wives will like the PR as it has good food, great pools, lots of things to do (their activity staff is 4-6 ppl and they plan about 15-20 things a day on their daily activity clock board) like making crafts/bracelets, water aerobics, volleyball, games etc etc. Some is for kids, some is for adults. Very good mix.

We like the PR as my wife gets AI, I get to dive, and it is the best bang for the buck AI close to town that isn't 2x as much like the Palace.

Enjoy your trip! Feel free to ask any q's by PM about the PR - been going there since 1997 lol.......

Park Royal wont be doing any work. It's a great AI to stay at with wives while you dive. It is what I do.

Pick a good dive op that will handle your gear for you. You can use the Aqua World pier at the Park Royal for pick ups and drop offs. You go over to their shop and pay $5 for a bracelet to use their pier for a week. Drop your gear with your dive op and you don't have to touch it for the rest of the week (I keep my mask, snorkel and fins for snorkeling at the hotel or on excursion).

Your wife/wives will like the PR as it has good food, great pools, lots of things to do (their activity staff is 4-6 ppl and they plan about 15-20 things a day on their daily activity clock board) like making crafts/bracelets, water aerobics, volleyball, games etc etc. Some is for kids, some is for adults. Very good mix.

We like the PR as my wife gets AI, I get to dive, and it is the best bang for the buck AI close to town that isn't 2x as much like the Palace.

Enjoy your trip! Feel free to ask any q's by PM about the PR - been going there since 1997 lol.......

Thanks for that post Brules. Very informative. I am looking at park royal for a trip in the spring with my wife who does not dive. My neighbor's family went there a couple of weeks back and reported a similar experience to yours, except they dove with Aqua World. They did not have any negatives to say about aqua world but they are very experienced and independent divers so that may factor in. I am planning on diving with Blue TX Sea or Aldora when I go simply because of the numerous good reviews and their participation on Scuba Board. I am fairly new and somewhat conservative, though confident, when diving within my experience. I feel like I want the higher level of service and support for my first trip to saltwater and drifting.

I have been to coz while on a cruise and I agree that the town has a lot of character that one could miss by staying in an AI far from the action. It is well worth staying close enough to explore and enjoy the town IMO. We certainly had a terrific time exploring during our port time.

Is it the Puerto Maya pier that is being extended? Any word on when that construction is supposed to start?

PH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom