Hotel recommendations in Valladolid area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

We are planning our next trip down and this time will be accompanied by our daughter and her boyfriend. Woo hoo! They have not done any of the Mayan ruins, so the 4 of us plan at least 2-3 nights on Mainland to explore a few.

Does anyone have a hotel recommendation, inexpensive but safe, in the Valladolid area? We are going to rent a car, visit both Chichen Itza (early one morning just like our trip there a few years ago), and then we must hit Ek Balam this trip (didn't last time as not enough time planned). We also want to hit a few of the local cenotes, churches, etc that is why we think Valladolid might be a good base.

Last time (just me and hubby), we stayed at Villas Archealogicas right next to Chichen Itza for the one night. It was perfect, small and reasonably priced, felt very safe. That seems to be the only hotel we find in the area for under $100 a night for a room online.

I am waiting for my new Mayan Adventures map set from cancunmap.com-Maps and travel guides.Your information source to Cancun,Cozumel,Isla Mujeres & Riviera Maya to come. I had a copy already but my husband seems to have loaned it to a friend last month and now he can't find it. Grrr. That is what we used our last trip to find all the restaurants and road info... worked out great for us! It is another reason we were thinking about Valladolid as a base since we had lunch there after touring CI and loved it.

Also.... last time we rented a car in Playa, then drove up towards Cancun to get the tollroad, then back towards CI. We were thinking this time of maybe taking the road out of Tulum up to Valladolid instead. That goes by Coba, which we haven't visited since 2000, so if we have time we would like to stop there, too.

We also might spend a night in Playa/Tulum area so we can dive the cenotes one day. Still don't know though.... trip won't be until March most likely.

Any help would be appreciated!

robin

---------- Post added July 29th, 2013 at 08:36 AM ----------

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Delores Alba just outside of Chichen Itza? Just found them online for less than $50 per room per night. Looks clean and I remember driving by it on way to CI last time. Looks quaint and near tons of restaurants and shops.

What are the prices at Mayaland? I stayed there quite a while ago, 2005, but what is nice about it is you can walk over to Chichen Itza. No driving or fighting crowds. The property was very nice. I highly recommend Ek Balam. Small, but lots to see and hopefully you can still climb the structures there. They have some of the tallest in the area. Hopefully I can properly attach a pic.

ry%3D400

If you have time, Coba may be another one to see. Rent the bike at the beginning cause it is a LONG way to get back to the tall pyramid.

ry%3D400

We stayed at the Casa Hamaca Guesthouse when we visited Valladolid and loved the place.

Looks very nice, but price is around $100 per night each room, so a bit over my budget.

Mayaland shows up different prices... one I saw was around $90 per room, and the other showed $150 per room. Don't know why such a range unless they are different types of rooms.

Keep the suggestions coming!

And has anyone driven the road from Tulum to Valladolid? Thoughts?

robin

The $100 per night also includes a really nice breakfast.
The road from Tulum to Valladolid is ok. You pass through a few small towns on the way that slow you down but it is a nice drive. The road goes past Coba, which is definitely worth a visit, but like Wineaux said, it covers a lot of area and there is lots of walking to see all of it. And you can also still climb the large temple in Coba.

Looks very nice, but price is around $100 per night each room, so a bit over my budget.

Mayaland shows up different prices... one I saw was around $90 per room, and the other showed $150 per room. Don't know why such a range unless they are different types of rooms.

robin

Mayaland has a traditional hotel and then some attached bungalows (like 3 bungalows in a row). That may be where the price difference is. I drove from Mayaland down to Coba and it was fine in 2005. I don't really remember anything along the way actually. I think it was just a rural, 2 lane road. (That at one point had a large military truck and soldiers sitting off to the side!)

robin

You are definitely on the right track staying in Valladolid rather than making a long day trip from the coast.

One thing I will promise you is that you will take home more pictures of Ek Balam than Chichen Itza.

Here is my shot on where to stay, El Meson del Marques Hotel, in Valladolid, Yucatan; Mexico: has become the visitor’s hotel of choice in this destination Close to the top end of your budget, but it is central within walking distance of the major sights in the town. In addition, the food is very good.

The road from Valladolid to Tulum is a designated Federal Highway. That being said, county roads in Texas are much better. The ONE THING you have to remember is to respect the tope's (speed bumps on steroids) at the entrance AND exit of every "village" along the route. CRAWL over them, hit them at 20mph and you will need a tow truck.

Be sure to ask your guide at Ek Balam to point out the penis in the vagina glyph on one of the door posts. My personal theory is that all the little alcoves were "offices" for the priests on festival days.

We did a tour to Coba and Tulum back in 2000.... our first trip to Cozumel. Our daughter was 12 at the time, now she's 25. Her boyfriend has never been to the Yucatan, so he is very excited about seeing any ruins at all. I think she would like to revisit Coba if we have time.

driftwood --- I have great photos and a video, of our trip to Chichen Itza in 2009 here: Mayan Ruins - Chichen Itza
the only reason we really want to go back there is to take our daughter and her boyfriend... I really think in order to enjoy all the ruins you need to do that one, with a guide, and learn as much as possible.

Me and daughter are BIG into the Mayan culture and artwork. We have read several books on the subject so it is exciting for both of us to see it all first person. We both think Ek Balam is going to be EPIC. Did I mention my BFA degree is in art/art history? This is another reason we want to stay in the area for a few days, so we can visit a few villages, get lots of photos of the culture, and buy lots of locally made stuff to bring home.

We will be staying at ScubaClubCozumel diving for 4-5 days in addition to our mainland excursion.... not sure yet if we fly into Cozumel, dive for the week, then over to mainland and fly home from Cancun.. or vice versa. We still have 6 months to plan.

thanks everyone for your help!

robin

A couple of last thoughts, first, take a pair of binoculars. There is a lot of detail that you will be too far away to fully appreciate.

Second, A Photographer’s Guide to Ek’ Balam | Seldom Scene Photography As a disclaimer, I haven't read the book. That being said, it may be worth the $2.99 for you to take a look at.

Have a great trip and I promise you that Ek Balam will not disappoint you.

robin
We thought the Mayaland hotel at the Chichen-Itza back gate was wonderful, 90 year old building recently renovated, spacious rooms (ours had a view of the Observatory), well dressed and gracious employees, delightful food, lovely ground, a nice pool, etc. It shows available for $77 and that price I wouldn't think of anyplace else. Where did you check rates? Orbitz shows it for $78 plus $14 tax, but Expedia fails, but book direct: Experience breathtaking views of Mayan temples at Mayaland Resort, with spacious air-conditioned rooms and breezy private balconies - Mayaland Resorts

We took the road from Tulum, after stopping at the San Francisco grocery there at the turn to buy a cooler, ice, water, etc. There was construction then but still no big deal. Driving thru Valladolid was a pain but doable. Getting to & from Ek Balam from the hotel is easy enough.

If you've done Coba before, you know you need all morning even on bikes - and a half gallon of water in each backpack, but that's good advice for any of the three. Mosquito repellent in each bag is a good idea as well.

ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 31 14.08.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom