Hotel recommendations near Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone. I was looking that the three properties listed in the Pensacola Beach area and noticed that there is a toll bridge as the only access to them.

I'm looking to keep getting wet whether out on boat or at shore so was wondering what kind of effect the toll bridge would bring to actual cost savings of the room rates.

The bridge is a dollar coming onto the island. Free going off.
Suburban Lodge (850) 453-4140. Tell them MBT Divers sent you for a discount.
Very diver friendly and easy acces (5-10 minutes)to most of the boats in the area. About 20 minutes to the beach.

I'm not sure how to best check this out, but if I were you I'd look at the Condo rental market on the beach. I've heard great things from several people about renting condos right now.....Cheap! I have a few friends that live in the area that have rented condos on the beach for family, and they loved it. I can do some digging into it further if anyone's interested. Just PM me!

For the last two summers I've rented a condo on the beach in the Gulf Shores/ Orange beach area and drug the family down for a beach vacation. The condos are larger and more convenient than a hotel and sometimes less expensive. The family loves it and I can usually sneak off for a day or two of diving.

I've gone out with Gary and that Cat of his has a smooth ride.

AL

I have been out on quite a few boats to the O. My favorite, the Wet Dream with the Scuba Shack. Great Captain, doesn't rush you into the water and, doesn't rush your surface interval. Alot of space, his and hers heads if you can believe that, and, the deck hands and divemasters are first rate! Hotdogs during the surface interval and homemade icecream on the ride home. A really fun time, looking for a smaller boat, Dr.Dive is the way to go. A little faster, not as much room, but, a first rate Captain.

Paradise Inn is on Pensacola Beach. It is sound side but the gulf is just across the street. www.paradiseinn-pb.com. Its a nice place with live music in a outdoor bar at night. I've also rented condos from www.realtymarts.com. I've gotten some really good deal with them.

We wound up in the Microtel in Gulf Shores. Actually a pretty nice place. Close enough to walk to several things and not too far away from the beach and such attractions.

Unfortunately, we wound up pulling in when weather turned bad. Our charter cancelled and we checked around and found that a whole lot of boats had cancelled due to the weather.

We were down the block from Down Under Dive Shop so we checked with Brian there for possible alternatives. He was entirely helpful, unfortunately his boats weren't going out either. But he did point us to the Vortex Springs site that we hit on Tuesday. That was a pretty fun location, though I was a bit concerned that there weren't a lot of people working there that were actually divers.... at least not when we were there. Had a guy hit work at about 6pm that understood dive gear and was able to help me more permanently fix an equipment problem.

Wednesday we went over to the Fort Morgan museum site and found it a fascinating place. I'm kind of a civil war buff anyway, so obviously interesting to me. Then the weather started to break and we found that boats were headed out... some anyway. So the phone calls began. We called and called and called. We started with Brian over at Down Under to see if he was going out since he had been so helpful through the week. His boat wasn't going out.

Next we called who we had originally chartered for Tuesday and Wednesday. He had 3 tech divers headed out on Thursday but for some reason it wasn't good for us to be able to get on with the trip. I thought this was odd as it was who we had originally chartered with... we did find another captain who made a few calls and found us a possibility for some diving on Thursday. Hopefully this happens.

Came down to the gulf to dive the Oriskany and hopefully found a boat who can help solve our problem.

Just thought I'd share that a bit.

Back
Top Bottom