Housing buoyancy tweaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Howdy Guys,

I'm currently working with a brand new rig, and having issues getting it neutrally buoyant. I should probably also mention that all my testing has been fresh water to date, first salt water dives with it will be in two weeks, but I digress...

So current rig is:
Nikon D7000
tokina 10-17
Zen 100 mini dome
2x 8" ultralight arms
2x 5" ultralight arms
2x S&S YS-D1
Sola 1200 focus light with associated clamp

So far I''ve added two sets of the Styx Jumbo Floats on the arms (3.2lbs of buoyancy combined) and the rig is still fairly negative. I haven't been able to properly weight it while submerged but I'd guess somewhere between 1-2lbs negative, and has a tendency to rotate forward towards the dome in most positions.

Suggestions for getting closer towards neutral would be greatly appreciated.

-E

I've pondered this myself and considered creating a GoPro mount built out of sealed PVC tubing (in order to add lights) and weighted accordingly.

Don't know if its strong enough for 100ft (just an example) but at least it would remain neutrally bouyant throughout the depth range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom