Hovering issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm having a problem when hovering, my body tends to end up in a vertical head down position, would ankle weights help this problem. I'm wearing a Scuba Pro Glide BCD, and Scuba Pro Twin Jet fins.

There are several things that may influence your trim. Ankle weights are kind of extreme, as they put the weight so far from your body's center of gravity. Not saying it couldn't work, but I would think it might cuase you to over compensate & wind up feet down. What kind of cylinder are you using? Perhaps a shorter or longer cylinder may help. You Can you move the amount of weight around on your BC? You may even consider placing some weight loer down on the cylinder.

Is there any way you can post a photo of yourself, fully geared up? You'd be surprised at how much can be diagnosed from a glance.

...I'll say that yours is the opposite of what we usually see as a problem, most folks become upright in the water.

All the best, James

A photo would be great. Also consider setting your bc higher on the tank. By lowering the tank even a inch or two may help distribute the weight of the tank lower helping to keep your feet from floating.

consider setting your bc higher on the tank.
+1
What size tank are you using? Longer and thinner tanks may help.

You can try a crotch strap, adjusting it and your shoulder straps can help keep the tank lower on your back.

I noticed you don't have a lot of dives yet, it may just be that you need to get more experience in your gear. Sometimes thing like this will work themselves out as you get more comfortable in an underwater environment.

Is there any way you can post a photo of yourself, fully geared up? You'd be surprised at how much can be diagnosed from a glance.

...I'll say that yours is the opposite of what we usually see as a problem, most folks become upright in the water.

All the best, James

the cylinders are usually supplied by the dive shop, so I'm not sure exactly what they are, been diving several places and seem to have the same problem. Here are some pictures. I distribute the weight evenly in my BCD, using front and back pockets. Couples swept away dive 4_08 27 11_0193.jpgCouples swept away dive 4_08 27 11_0194.jpgCouples swept away dive 4_08 27 11_0202.jpgCouples swept away dive 4_08 27 11_0203.jpgCouples swept away dive 4_08 27 11_0204.jpgCouples swept away dive 4_08 27 11_0206.jpg

Being that it is a jacket BC you may have too much air in it. How much weight are you carrying and in what type of exposure suit. If you are over weighted and needing to add more air that air is going into the bladder around your waist and back. This will result in you tilting head down. The first thing you should do is a proper weight check. As Fdog says a glance from an experienced instructor can often tell a great deal. I do a buoyancy and trim workshop where we start with a good solid weight check. Then we swim and do skills while swimming and usually within a few minutes I can tell what needs to be adjusted and moved around or changed. How much bioprene are you carrying and how is it distributed? That will have a large effect as well.

It appears that you are using AL80's and frankly from my perspective for a new diver you look pretty good. Some minor tweaking may need done but from those pics you look feet heavy if anything. Number 5 is very nice posture and position!

Here is my view, your trying to balance everything out and take in account your gear, weight placement, tank, breathing, wetsuit compression, and air consumption. Start with the basic and things you can control. I would get some pool time and dial your weight in, to me it seems like your weights are to high, do you have any weight in the trim pocket? If so there might be to much. Also how much weight do you normally have?

Here is my view, your trying to balance everything out and take in account your gear, weight placement, tank, breathing, wet suit compression, and air consumption. Start with the basic and things you can control. I would get some pool time and dial your weight in, to me it seems like your weights are to high, do you have any weight in the trim pocket? If so there might be to much. Also how much weight do you normally have?

The posted pictures are a 3mil waterproof, with 14lbs in saltwater. I used 2 4lbs in the weight pockets up front, and 2 3lbs in the back pockets, which are higher up on the BCD. Yesterday I was trying to get properly weighted I was wearing a bare 4/5 mil with a 3 mil vest and hood and needed 14lbs to get down in the pool. As long as I'm moving, I can maintain buoyancy, it's when I stop and hover for safety stops that i have the problem, i release air from my BCD on the way up to compensate for expansion. It may be the air in the BCD, I haven't gotten used to getting it properly adjusted right away.

Being that it is a jacket BC you may have too much air in it. How much weight are you carrying and in what type of exposure suit. If you are over weighted and needing to add more air that air is going into the bladder around your waist and back. This will result in you tilting head down. The first thing you should do is a proper weight check. As Fdog says a glance from an experienced instructor can often tell a great deal. I do a buoyancy and trim workshop where we start with a good solid weight check. Then we swim and do skills while swimming and usually within a few minutes I can tell what needs to be adjusted and moved around or changed. How much bioprene are you carrying and how is it distributed? That will have a large effect as well.

It appears that you are using AL80's and frankly from my perspective for a new diver you look pretty good. Some minor tweaking may need done but from those pics you look feet heavy if anything. Number 5 is very nice posture and position!

Thanks, I try to dive often, and spend allot of time in the pool. Trying to work on my buoyancy and air consumption. I did my OW in Hawaii, so the conditions weren't the calmest, so when we did our swim around with the surge, it may have been hard to tell, but it still was great diving.

Back
Top Bottom