How are in-shore dive conditions lately in Panama City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,
I'll be down in PCB on the 21st -24th of this month. Looking to dive with Panama City Dive Charters on their morning 4 hr. trip on the 23rd.
I haven't dove from a boat in the Gulf yet, even though I have been certified for years, just PADI OW. Getting my PADI AOW later this summer at Lake Jocassee in SC. I dive mostly at area lakes in N. Ga. and SC near where I live.
On the morning 4 hr. trips, how has vis and currents been lately?. I had a bad experience at the Jetties back in the 80s with current and waves, very leary of any rough conditions in the Gulf.

Everyone says these in shore dives from a dive boat in PCB are fairly easy skill wise. Is that what most of you have encountered as well?

Thanks for any info. or advise.

I did a two tank dive on Saturday June 8th with Panama City Dive Charters to certify to OW students. We did the Red Sea and Bridge Span 12, at about 6 and 5 miles out respectively. These are considered inshore dives in PC. We had about 40' viz and 80° water temp with no thermocline. Seas were decent at about 2 feet. Very light current at depth, nothing on the surface.

The jetties always vary and are hard to predict. Usually an incoming tide in the middle of a lunar cycle will yield the best results viz and current wise, especially just before highest high tide and slack. But not always. They are a great dive when you hit it just right.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I've never noticed that. In general a north breeze will yield flatter seas closer to land. Other than that, I've not seen any consistancy in the past 14 years. Even a light southerly breeze usually won't bump it up to badly.

Panama City Dive Charters has a a 36' Newton dive boat, so 2-4 won't be bad.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom