How common are sabotages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an exploration cave diver in the Yucatan (full time) I can tell you that the 'climate' here is horrible. Competition over sites, over teaching opportunities, over data, a virtual marriage of a certain agency and a local private dive shop causing all kinds of intrigue and trouble, the list goes on and on... I come from dry caving background in Europe and although the situation there is not nice, I have never seen anything like what is happening here. If one searches for decent persons in this milieu one would be in a Diogenes-like situation. We are all doing this to ourselves. This vocation stimulates EGO games like no other. It is very sad.

As much as I like diving in Mexico,I have pretty much given up diving there. Last time I wanted to dive a site and XXXXX was my guide, he told me he couldn't take me there because group XXXXX didn't like him,and told the land owner to keep him away. I know about cave politics,and it doesn't really bother me,but some of the things I have seen over the last 20 years in Mexico has made me question any desire to return.

---------- Post added July 9th, 2014 at 05:54 AM ----------

These people can't even read, man. Even if they could they wouldn't read a little note.

Couldn't agree with you more. Heck they can't even read the large sign that says,"Don't jump off the platform",and every few years someone does and breaks their neck. The end result Ginnie gets sued,their insurance goes up,and admission price goes up :-(

As much as I like diving in Mexico,I have pretty much given up diving there. Last time I wanted to dive a site and XXXXX was my guide, he told me he couldn't take me there because group XXXXX didn't like him,and told the land owner to keep him away. I know about cave politics,and it doesn't really bother me,but some of the things I have seen over the last 20 years in Mexico has made me question any desire to return.
If you're interested, I can give you at least 15-20 sites where you just drive up and ask to scuba dive in Mexico. No need to deal with any politics.

If you're interested, I can give you at least 15-20 sites where you just drive up and ask to scuba dive in Mexico. No need to deal with any politics.

That is good. Nothing more frustrating than flying at a sizable expense,and then being told that I needed a different guide to be able to access this site. But,that isn't the only thing that makes Mexico less appealing. The caves are really showing the wear and tear with people that have poor skill level. I no longer find Ginnie appealing,because it is beat to hell. Some guides are really unqualified to guide,with encouraging things like visual jumps, plus those so called OW cave dives that are sold to tourists. The last thing is development plans have impacted ground water and will eventually destroy many of the caves. Mexico has a phenomenal resource that will be gone forever at the rate things are going.

Please don't totally dump on "so called OW cave dives that are sold to tourists". My trip to Ginnie Springs afforded me a somewhat potentially safe and thoroughly enjoyable first exposure to the world of cave diving. It provided me with a deep respect and profound awareness of some of the dangers involved in cave diving. My Ballroom experience gave me the knowledge of why I would never enter a cave without more competent training and most of all, it showed me how much I do not know about cave diving. Yes, I probably beat the site up, or at least raised some silt, but I also had an opportunity to experience the wonderful, intriguing, and extremely dangerous entry-level world of cave/cavern diving. Besides, to real certified cave divers, I would think that the Ballroom, while really fascinating to me, might be less exciting for more experienced divers. Furthermore, while I know that the Ballroom is an overhead environment that could easily kill divers, for me, it is all the cave/cavern experience that I will ever desire to pursue. After diving at Ginnie Springs, my respect for the cave diving family and for what they do is monumental.
I am sorry I strayed from the original post. Concerning the sabotage of diving equipment and plans, I believe that such acts should be considered as nothing less than attempted murder.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom