How comprehensive is "Full car insurance" in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outside your home country, it generally covers "nothing". This goes double if you rent a truck.
all depends upon your credit card contract. ours is good worldwide. BUT: it does exclude a bunch of types of vehicles including off road vehicles, Aston Martins, Ferraris and trucks. And you are responsible to pay the bills after which you will (hopefully) get reimbursed. so in Bonaire i would go with the $8 a day and just walk away at the end of the week.

I am not sure I understand about this business of a Credit Card 'contract'. I have had my Visa & Mastercards since 1986 and have used one or the other to pay for holiday expenses, including car rental. I also have a very comprehensive travel and dive insurance with my bank that covers me up to 40 metres and all my luggage and dive kit. I had no problems when I had to make a couple of claims over the years - one a last minute cancellation due to the wife being unwell and another due to lost luggage (but in the latter case the bag was found and returned to us intact weeks later and so I returned the reimbursement).

But as far as Car Rental abroad goes, the insurance company made it clear that they just covered me (injuries) and my luggage and not the rental car. I have therefore always upgraded to the full insurance offered by the car rental company. I visit and drive in the USA quite often and usually use Enterprise or National car rentals and add their full cover and fuel surcharge every time. Thankfully, never had to make a claim thus far.

What my question really was - if I buy AB's full insurance (which I now have done), is the coverage as comprehensive as renting a car in the US? I asked because this will be the first time that I am renting a car in the Caribbean.

Oh man did you open another can of worms asking if its as comprehensive as in the US :wink: Have a look at Hertz's article describing coverage. Its actually quite good: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/prod...ed States#How_well_do_you_know_your_coverage?
That said, I have used AB for the past 8 years with the full coverage. However I have not had to make any claims. And this past May was the first time they didn't even bother checking for any dents/dings/scratches, just tossed me the keys. AND they have finally gotten rid of those horrible knock off land cruisers and gone to all normal pickup trucks!

That's all very good mbs but since I am not renting the car from Hertz but have accepted the maximum insurance cover that AB Rental company are offering, what more can I do? I have to hope and assume that the AB Cover is good enough for all eventualities, or better still, that those evantualities don't arise in the first place.

My point was that your question "...is the coverage as comprehensive as renting a car in the US?" is not really relevant. It all depends on the agency and their T&C's. To your point - Full coverage, nothing left in the vehicle, doors not locked and you can sleep peacefully.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom