"How did I live 34 years without diving?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ziongyal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Everybody,

I'm sure all the regular board readers seen a question like this thousands of times but I'm seriously perplexed! I just did OW in July, working on DM now and trying to figure out how I can combine physician assistant (PA) medical training with diving. I joined UHMS but it seems PAs don't really "fit" any UHMS category. you can't take MD specialty boards in dive medicine (or anything else for that matter) so how does a PA get trained and recognized for dive-medicine training? . Anybody know of PAs that specialize in dive medicine? Know any good dive medicine links or MDs? (Or if I was really lucky maybe you ARE a dive medicine PA or MD? ...could I be so lucky?)

Oh, and one more thing... how do ya'll focus on anything but diving once you've been "bitten" by the diving bug? :D I even wake up at 3 am with diving poems floating around in my brain! Think I'm joking?................

Submerged

I see hundreds of silhouettes gleaming above me
And feel the immense power of the cool current below

Weightlessly suspended
I become acutely aware of every breath

Inhale…..rise

Exhale….descend

Inhale….consume

Exhale….replenish

Inhale….rise

Exhale…descend ….

For a brief moment in time
I become one with her majesty
The Sea

Sometimes when dry
I feel deep waters run through my soul
And I glide on the hope
Of enlightened tomorrows

May you enjoy many blissful expiring ascents,

-Ziongyal

Z-gal,

Welcome to the board!

I appreciate the sentiment in your poetry, however, I hope to not expire on my next ascent :)
My goal is to keep the number of my descents and ascents precisely the same without expiring on either, for many years to come...

With respect to the training, a good place to start might be here:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/training/index.asp

Hyperbaric medicine is a fairly specialized field and I'm not sure how many chambers there are in Salt Lake City. But I'm certain that there is at least one hospital there with a chamber - they're used for a wide variety of therapies, including burn victims, and finding that chamber and speaking to the staff would be another avenue to explore. DAN will be able to provide you with the locations of any chambers in SLC, as well as a contact phone number for the staff. They may be able to provide you with other local options regarding training in that field.

Best of luck with your hyperbaric medical future, and hope you continue to enjoy diving.

Welcome to ScubaBoard,

Doc

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Neat poem, thanks. Doc gave you a good link. Or call DAN Monday.

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

ziongyal:
and one more thing... how do ya'll focus on anything but diving once you've been "bitten" by the diving bug?
Here's a question I can answer.................. ya don't! :D

Welcome to SB ziongyal! Good luck with your training and stay safe.

Good poem!!!!
Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Welcome to the ScubaBoard!
This may be a humble start but have you thought about becoming an Emergency First Responder Instructor?

Thanks for the warm welcome, links and ideas..... and just for the record I hope ya'll (especially you Doc) don't "Expire" as in "end" (just expire as in breathe out.).. see how confusing English can be? Crazy innit?!

Welcome to the Board and to diving. Love you enthusiasm but have a question; You were certified in July, have less than 50 dives and are doing DM now? Do you really think your qualified yet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom