How did quick release belts become a safety standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For you, a rescue class is learning how to deal with the outlying circumstances that hopefully an average diver never will actually see. For some of us, it is our job to be ready to keep bad things from happening, and arrange our gear and our divers gear so that bad things are less likely to happen and when they do nothing more than putting air in the BCD can solve the problem. It's not a rescue exercise, it's a bacis skill that has to be ready every single moment from morning to evening.

Outlying is not non-existent. It's just something you have not seen. There's lots you haven't seen.

So what exactly does what your inexperienced divers ( your dive 1 students) do have to do with what panicked divers do? Well, nothing. Nothing at all. High stress is one thing. Non-functional active panic another.

It's basic to rescuing a panicked diver that they are doing counnterproductive things, and the rescuer needs to break their cycle. One of the counterproductive things is fins becoming ineffective, or even getting kicked right off the feet, and the surface area of the thigh dominating the stroke. It is emphasized in some rescue classes, even. And you know what? Fully inflating BCDs with high lift breaks the cycle before it starts, because no one can descend against a 50 pound BCD fully inflated. They cannot even get their face in the water usually.

So we usually don't have to deal with things getting full blown, because we make gear choices that work better, despite the fact that the internet thinks they don't.

This also goes back to the whole problem of our only source of positive buoyancy often being our BCD and lung volume. Don't keep skipping that. Because the difference between ditching a weight belt for positive buoyancy and not, is that the BCD is the only source of buoyancy. It's why I mentioned the skill not teaching much with and properly weighted diver in the tropics.

The reason high lift BCDs work for both divers and rescuers so well is the same reason a rescuer is suppsoed to approach a panicking diver with a obvious source of flotation that allows the victims to lift their head well clear of the water. Because that, and only that, is going to break their panic. Hand em flotation, let them get their head well clear of the water, and let them wear themselves out, or calm themselves down.

When you help teach rescue classes, what (possibly non-real world) things to you put in the responding divers hands to help a panicked diver at the surface? I say possibly non-real world because the first person responding to a panicked diver is usually another diver. I have yet to see anyone but another diver be the first on the scene**. Another diver doesn't have all that nonsense people put together for rescue class (the bagged ropes etc.). They have their gear and that's it.

And guess what commonly used piece of gear can double as device that you can hand a diver that gives them the ability to lift their head clear of the water? A high lift BCD.

As instructors we are usually pulling floats with beginning divers, so we get to use those, too. But it would be less useful to stress those in a rescue class since no one but an instructor pulling intros usually has one actually in their hands at the moment of response. I always have my ridiculous lift BCD on when I am with divers.

** actually boat crew people also come rescue but they just use dive floats usually. Those are amazing high lift devices, truck inner tubes in fact, that just happen to not be BCDs. I guess we should have the boat crew hand struggling divers smaller, less useful sources of positive buoyancy when they need help, though. Like a 17 pound lift BCDs since those are more useful, apparently. Or a riding mower inner tube.

I've received a PM from beanojones that I consider to be well written and worth discussing openly. I've invited beanojones to share that particular PM in this thread. Such would be a hijack, but a mod could easily move several previous posts and said PM to a new thread for discussion.

I find the diversity in opinions in this thread interesting. I have always been hesitant to use a really low volume BC, because I am paranoid that the extra lift might not be there when I need it to help rescue a diver from the bottom or at the surface. I have very little concern that I myself, might actually need the excess lift capacity when diving alone.

I currently use a Scuba Pro Stab jacket (large) most often and it has about 40 or 45 lbs ?? of lift (maybe more?). I also use a rubber weight belt that is easy to ditch.

I personally think that the excess drag of a somewhat larger BC (or wing) is of little concern , but I do NOT agree with someone using a 75 or 100 lb lift BC/Wing. I think the excess capacity IS dangerous, should a un-intended inflation occur. That much lift could most definitely cause a diver to rocket to the surface, much more so than accidentally dropping a 15 or 20 lb lead belt.

If you are weighted properly you will not rocket to the surface if you drop your belt and will not need a BCD with 100lb lift. If you need a 100lbs of lift from your BCD you are doing something else seriously wrong. Weighted properly on shallow water dives you will not need a BCD at all. I use a wing with 26lbs of lift only because the 18lb wing I wanted was more ridged so it would not pack as flat in my luggage. I use a wing to make minor buoyancy adjustments only so I can use a smaller, lower profile wing and if the thing fails it is not a problem as I didn't really need it to begin with. Dropping weights is a simple, fail proof way to self rescue that is not covered well enough if at all in training. If you are found dead while still wearing your weights it is because you were a moron and that cost you your life.

If you are found dead while still wearing your weights it is because you were a moron and that cost you your life.

Or you were dead before your hand got to the buckle, medical events cause a large percentage of scuba deaths and you may be in no condition to drop the belt when one hits.

Of course lack of practice and fear instilled about rocketing to the surface put dropping the belt way down on a lot of divers bag of survival tricks when it should be at the top. You don't have to drop it first, just drop it if nothing else comes to mind.

Bob
---------------------------------------------------
That's my point, people, by and large, are not taught that diving can be deadly, they are taught how safe it is, and they are not equipped with the skills, taught and trained to the level required to be useful in an emergency.

If you are found dead while still wearing your weights it is because you were a moron and that cost you your life.

Every person I have ever spoken to that actually recovered a body tells me that the victim wore weights. Every dead diver I have personally observed underwater had their weightbelt on. Proper weighting and ditching weights is probably the most important, least taught least valued skill in scuba. Ditching weights personally saved my life, I'm convinced. It at least gave me time to come up with a plan to save myself.

Interesting discussion so far. Not to get off topic, but the premise of the OPs question "why do we do certain things when diving?" We could start a whole new thread.

under water some where

If you are weighted properly you will not rocket to the surface if you drop your belt and will not need a BCD with 100lb lift. If you need a 100lbs of lift from your BCD you are doing something else seriously wrong. Weighted properly on shallow water dives you will not need a BCD at all. I use a wing with 26lbs of lift only because the 18lb wing I wanted was more ridged so it would not pack as flat in my luggage. I use a wing to make minor buoyancy adjustments only so I can use a smaller, lower profile wing and if the thing fails it is not a problem as I didn't really need it to begin with. Dropping weights is a simple, fail proof way to self rescue that is not covered well enough if at all in training. If you are found dead while still wearing your weights it is because you were a moron and that cost you your life.

While all this is certainly true UNDERWATER, it does not get back to the only time people should be ditching weights (which is on the surface), which is what this thread about quick release weight belts is all about.

No one really needs most things, most of the time. No one needs a BCD in a given depth range of diving, weighting and exposure protection. Almost anyone can adjust their breathing pattern to makeup for the typical bouyancy swing from full to empty on a single tank, and then it is just making sure the diver is neutral for the depth they will be diving. It's how we free dive efficiently: positive from the exposure suit and lung volume on the surface, and chooses the weights so that we can be motionless holding a compressed full breath at the bottom depth.

If we are not upright on the surface, then we are (or should be) in proper diving position, with the face or the back of the head in the water, and those times very little or no additional buoyancy is needed. And when we are not being stupid in the water, we keep our mask on and our reg in our mouth.

But we have equipment for the times when we need help, which is most likely on the surface, with empty lungs, upright in the water. And this is when we are being stupid in the water: mask off, reg out, other gear problems.

When someone is in trouble (the only times when ditching the QUICK RELEASE weight belt matters), they are going to need all the help they can get. The worst part is that for a properly weighted tropical diver, ditching the weigh belt is not going to make enough of a difference if the diver even has one on.

Here are all the factors working against a diver in trouble at the surface:
1. Low lung volume (from choking/coughing) so the diver is already sinking the head into the water. (4 to 10 pounds negative buoyancy, depending on lung size)

2. Diver in the upright position (which from just the pose itself sinks the mouth below the water line, (Roughly 10 pounds postive buoyancy needed to clear a divers mouth well clear of the water)

3. Full Tanks, because problems often happen immediately upon a giant stride entry (mask comes off, air not on, fins pop off during the giant stride, Snorkel not the reg in the mouth) (take a pick, but lets say 6 pounds negative buoyancy for the full tank)

4. Inefficient or worst case, counterproductive kicks providing no lift, or worst of all negative lift. (Roughly 10 pounds negative lift from the worst case kick)

5. If counterproductive kicks are not your bag (then one you do not believe in the possibility of back kicks apparently but anyway) then add that same factor (10 pounds additional buoyancy) to get the mouth clear of variable conditions at the surface in the ocean.

We need a BCD that can counteract those negative bouyancy factors immediately. Those numbers add up to 36 pound BCD giving just enough lift in an emergency if someone cannot ditch their weight usefully.

What lift is needed? Well hopefully no one actually needs their BCDs during a dive. I certainly don't use mine on most dives when I am not lugging extra weight for divers, and I do lots of dives with just tanks in hand, so of course no BCD for those. Of course 5 mil wetsuits are going to swing, and the BCD is needed for those divers. Bu overall, let's agree that no BCD at all is really needed underwater, properly setup. Let's agree thatBCDs are not for underwater, they are for self-rescue and other diver rescue at the surface.

Well then a 36 pound lift BCD (adding 1-5 above) is the bare minimum emergency tool needed for a diver to help themselves at the surface.

Now lets add the very common "integrated weights" people use on vacations (sticking 10 lb in the BCD pockets), and we need a 46 pound BCD for ourselves to help someone else in real trouble at the surface. Because every factor that counts for them when they fsck up (upright, airway unprotected, ineffective kick) also goes for me when I am helping someone (I have to go upright, I have to uncover my airway, I often need to not kick to avoid whacking divers other divers in the head, I cannot ditch weights to avoid endangering other divers). I often have to fend the boat swinging on the mooring pivot in the wind off with one hand, while swimming hard so current does not drag us under the boat.

Really the last thing I have ever thought ever diving is I wish I had less lift at the surface. I have often wished for more, much more, but I have never not once wished I had less.

Divers needing rescue rarely find the easiest place with no potential obstructions, and nothing else going on, with a totally clear area underneath them so weight belts are not dangerous to divers below, in pool like conditions, yet next to the boat ladder.

Those damn divers always need help in the most annoying places: in suddenly changing conditions, packed into a group of other divers where ditching a weight belt is safety concern for divers below, far away from the boat ladder, and yet soemtimes still tangled in the anchor line. You know, like all the places people are often diving on vacations, and doing entries and exits in.

It's great to internet imagine rescues happening in pool like conditions where we can just tell the victime to stand up, and we have floats and multiple helpful rested professionals standing by to do what's needed. The victim lways has all their gear in place, and the victim is fully relaxed, etc. And maybe for people who dive in places where you can stop and pose casually for pictures at entry and exits points, it is unfathomable that stopping at entry and exits is just stupid and causes problems, so of course it is unfathomable that someone ever needs rescues in actual open ocean conditions (Surf/Surge/Spray/Chop), because they simply do not know what open ocean conditons are like.

But no one in the history of needing rescues, ever, for all time, has ever been a perfectly composed diver in perfect pool-like conditions, or they would not need rescuing. And even internet divers, and people with limited experience, should be able to suss that out.

Back in the day when we started using the very first horse collar BCs we treated them as auxiliary or secondary buoyancy control, not primary. The BC went on first so that if need, the weight belt could be dropped without tangling and further more, the entire SCUBA Lung could be ditched if needed leaving the diver floating high and dry with his horsecollar BC providing a clear airway, head back position.

But, in the same token, nobody is ever going to convince me I need a 100 pound lift BC, lol, not going to fly. The lift needed is relevant to the exposure protection and other equipment, tank(s) plates etc. There is no one size fits all. I can assure you, if after ditching weight, and I always have ditch-able weight of one sort or another, even if it is only my rig, it will be gone in a flash.

Just about any wetsuit, minus weight belt and SCUBA rig, you should float like a cork. Even if you are just in a Speedo and rash guard, minus weight belt and SCUBA rig and a little bit of swimming skills can go a long way. BTW, I am not advocating dumping all of your gear, just saying, if my rig is pulling me down, it is going away.

Oh well, I do not need 50 pounds lift in a 3/2 wetsuit, 18 to 22 pounds is fine with my favorite aluminum 80/63 and steel 72s. If they would let me wear a wetsuit, even a 3/2, I could swim the English Channel (minor exaggeration, maybe) right now. It is the cold that gets me, otherwise, maybe just me, I am good to go.

People are not drowning in SCUBA diving from weight belts and BCs that are too low on lift capacity, I do not think. They are having cardiac events due to panic and obesity and lack of fitness and lack of, importantly, water comfort. The 40 to 60 yo age bracket seems rife with the I used to be able to do this "male think" not as good as I used to be but as good as once was or some silliness. No, nope, not only are they not as good as they used to be once, they were quite likely never that good to start with.

N

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2014 at 01:16 PM ----------

Here is where this thread has gone wrong, the pervasive and widespread belief that a BC is a life support device. A BC is NOT a life support system, it is NOT a safety device, it is NOT a life preserver. The only legitimate purpose of a BC is it's intended function, to compensate for changes in buoyancy over the course of a dive due to exposure protection crush and cylinder (air) depletion. There is no other function. A BC was never intended to substitute for water skills and water comfort.

If you have a USCG approved BC please show me the tag that says it is a life preserver.

N

Last edited:
Every person I have ever spoken to that actually recovered a body tells me that the victim wore weights. Every dead diver I have personally observed underwater had their weightbelt on. Proper weighting and ditching weights is probably the most important, least taught least valued skill in scuba. Ditching weights personally saved my life, I'm convinced. It at least gave me time to come up with a plan to save myself.

Excellent point... That is why I have instituted a Weight Belt Safety Policy:

Freedive Weight Belt | MAKO Spearguns

MAKO FREE REPLACEMENT/SAFETY POLICY

To our valued customers:
MAKO Spearguns recognizes that diving (both freediving and SCUBA) are potentially dangerous activities. We have all heard of tragic accidents where a diver is found on the bottom while still wearing a weight belt. We hope and pray that should any of our customers find themselves in a situation where ditching a belt may be necessary, that there is no delay and the belt is dropped immediately.

In many situations a belt is recoverable, however if your MAKO Spearguns belt and lead and/or Tinman weights are ditched (and lost) in a true emergency…. I will replace them at our cost.

The last thing we want is our customers considering the cost of a lost belt in an emergency. The only thing we ask is that the individual shares with us (and our friends and customers) some sort of write-up about how the situation developed and how it was resolved. That way, we can all learn and be reminded to keep safety in the forefront of our minds.

Dive safe,

Dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom