How do freedivers clear their ears so quick when they rocket down on sleds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only a few completely flood their sinuses. Although he doesn't rocket down on a sled, Martin Stepanek uses fluid goggles and a noseclip- but otherwise a fairly standard freznel technique. With that he's gone more than 100 meters under his own power both ways. The biggest limitation is to get a big enough mouth fill (of air) to continue equalizing after your airway gets squeezed shut.

The typical descent rate is about 1 meter/second. The number of times one has to equalize is related to change in volume. Going from surface to 10 meters the volume is halved. Going from 100 meters to 110 the volume only reduced by 1/10.

There I go acting like an expert. I'm not. I'm mostly parroting what I've read or been told. Go to Eric Fattah's website or Deeperblue.net for the real scoop.

Jim

BKP:
How about filling a medium/high volume mask with clean saline solution prior to the dive, and using that?

they make a mask that is filed with saline solution and has corrected lenses in it they also make goggles that are filed wtih saline solution. you can check them out here http://www.liquivision.ca/liquivisionfluidgoggles.html there not cheep.

:dork2: :dork2: :dork2: :dork2: :dork2: :dork2:

I get down to about 20-30 feet and my ears feel like they are being stabbed, it seems to be about as deep as I can go currently. Ive been using a technique that I have been told works but i only seem to spit blood and not hear rite for about a week after (ears feel like they have water in them).... So im assuming pinching/plugging your nose and blowing hard isnt the way to clear the ears?

If any one has other ways of clearing the ears to get deeper with less spectacular results im All Ears :D
besides the whole sucking water into the sinus.

i used to not have to clear. i could drop down to 120ft without equalizing-- then I had sinus surgery so equalizing is a must now.

bellocchi:
I get down to about 20-30 feet and my ears feel like they are being stabbed, it seems to be about as deep as I can go currently. Ive been using a technique that I have been told works but i only seem to spit blood and not hear rite for about a week after (ears feel like they have water in them).... So im assuming pinching/plugging your nose and blowing hard isnt the way to clear the ears?

If any one has other ways of clearing the ears to get deeper with less spectacular results im All Ears :D
besides the whole sucking water into the sinus.
I've been down to 80' just using the valsalva (hold your nose and blow). It does get harder to equalize and I could not exhale at the bottom.

It souds like the technique you are using isn't working for you.

yes definately not working have been searching but really havent found any other options or techniques besides the saleen in the sinus ( :confused: )

So I go till I bleed until I find a better way. :D

There are many equalization techniques. You can search "deeperblue" forums for useful techniques. You can PM me if you want I think I have a doc somewhere that explains about 6-7 different techniques.

Pain and/or ear squeeze is not normal and may lead to serious ear problems if you insist. If you can't equalize in the first 3-5 ft then stop. You are not doing it right
and you shouldn't be in even at 10ft much less 20-30ft.

I'd recommend getting the technique right by practising at 3-4 ft before venturing
down to deeper waters.

Personally (not an advanced diver by any means), I started with valsalva, but now I only use it in rare circumstances. I learned to open my eustachian tubes in head down position without using hands. I equalize (by just swallowing) about 8-10 times before I hit 30ft.

where do you get the nose clips for equalizing with. would nose clips work with a full face mask like the aga mask. I have a hard time equalizing with my aga and would much prefer an alternative. Thanks

its not that hard really my first time i went to about 80 feet and i didnt find it hard to equalize at all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom