How do I find a liveaboard that will let me dive MY way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is exactly my experience with the Siren fleet. I've been on trips with them twice and basically they brief you what you can expect at a certain site and if you don't want te be guided, they point to the water and say "enjoy". Of course the ships are on a schedule and so in order to get to the next site, they have to leave sometimes to go there and you can't overstay under water. But as I and most of us typically don't last more than 70 min on an average tank, that is not a problem.

But as I and most of us typically don't last more than 70 min on an average tank, that is not a problem.

On our last dive on a Fiji Siren trip, at E-6 in Bligh Water, we were allowed to go for "as long as you have air".... i managed 90 minutes and still had 60 bar left. We dived direct from the Siren as there is a mooring so I didn't have to worry about other divers waiting on me in the dinghy - it was brilliant!

Delighted to hear of this attitude aboard Fiji Siren as I am diving with them early next year.

For an alternative that I don't think has been mentioned here, Mike Ball's Spoilsport on the Great barrier Reef. 3 day / 4 night or 7 day option. We did the shorter version 3 years ago and enjoyed the "open gate" scenario at several sites, one of which included night diving.

The staff were, excellent, probably one of the best I have experienced in 8/9 LOBs in Asia Pacific. Their duties ranged from excellent awareness and guiding of less skilled and newer divers to allowing total freedom (within reason) to more experienced divers, there were Instructors and Tech Divers aboard the crowd on board and noted that they were allowed to dive solo with pony and waiver signing.

At each site the briefing would be rounded off by announcing which DM would be going in to the water IF you wanted to follow them or otherwise you ere free to explore with your buddy.

Worth a look.

Yes, I remember that at the beginning of the trip everybody was color-coded as red, yellow, or green, depending on your experience. Green meant, "there's the water, have at it!". If you were yellow, you had to go out with a divemaster. And if you were red, you had to get in with a divemaster and demonstrate 20 skills before you could go on a tour. I've told countless generations of my open water students this story as a way of motivating them to keep up with their logbooks.

---------- Post added June 18th, 2014 at 11:51 AM ----------

On our last dive on a Fiji Siren trip, at E-6 in Bligh Water, we were allowed to go for "as long as you have air".... i managed 90 minutes and still had 60 bar left. We dived direct from the Siren as there is a mooring so I didn't have to worry about other divers waiting on me in the dinghy - it was brilliant!
I have a home on Little Cayman and spend a few months every winter diving from shore there. I have my own compressor, so fill my own tanks. I have kept track of all my dives there and over the years I have AVERAGED 76 minutes per dive off an aluminum 80. My longest was 110 minutes. I sure wish I could do that here in CA in the cold water, but there's no way. Your heart beats faster in order to warm the cold air you're breathing and it takes more air to keep that heart rate up.

Don't think it matters what liveaboard you do you are not going to be able to dive longer than about 90 min and for many dives not longer than 60 or 70. This is a scheduling thing more than anything as the boat needs to move to the next dive site, also as Akimbo stated if you are diving from small boats shuttling divers to and from the boat to the dive site few boats will want to assign a dingy driver to hang out above the dive site for a single diver or pair of divers. Damai will do that, but none of the other liveaboards that I have been on (that use small boats as shuttles) were willing to do that. Most give you a time limit of 60 min or so - stretch it to 70 nobody is going to say anything. Come up after 110 and there is likely going to be a problem. The couple of boats that I have done that dive directly from the liveaboard were less tight re dive times.

Don't know if there are any boats in RA that dive directly from the liveaboard.

Delighted to hear of this attitude aboard Fiji Siren as I am diving with them early next year.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Fiji Siren Hutch12 - if you have any questions about your trip please feel free to pm us or email our reservations team direct - info@sirenfleet.com

Cheers!
Siren Fleet Marketing

Don't think it matters what liveaboard you do you are not going to be able to dive longer than about 90 min and for many dives not longer than 60 or 70. This is a scheduling thing more than anything as the boat needs to move to the next dive site, also as Akimbo stated if you are diving from small boats shuttling divers to and from the boat to the dive site few boats will want to assign a dingy driver to hang out above the dive site for a single diver or pair of divers. Damai will do that, but none of the other liveaboards that I have been on (that use small boats as shuttles) were willing to do that. Most give you a time limit of 60 min or so - stretch it to 70 nobody is going to say anything. Come up after 110 and there is likely going to be a problem. The couple of boats that I have done that dive directly from the liveaboard were less tight re dive times.

Don't know if there are any boats in RA that dive directly from the liveaboard.

This has been my experience on all liveaboards. Once we were evaluated and found to be competent experienced divers. Diving directly from the liveaboard we were free to come/go as we pleased. Diving from a tender/shuttle boat, you needed to stay near the group, but not necessary to follow the guide. Bottom times around 75 minutes or less. This seems very reasonable to me, since my buddy and I are not the only divers on the boat.

In Raja, there were a few sites where we dove directly from the main boat. Don't remember exactly where, but obviously it was in a protected area. Mangroves, etc..

hi zf2net

why don't you have a look at
Diving Indonesia with Wallacea Live Aboards : Rajah Empat - Komodo - Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh Strait - Togian Islands & Banggai - Diving Indonesia - Wallacea Dive Cruise - Indonesian Liveaboard Experience with Paisabatu II and Ambai |.

Ambai is a very nice motor vessel with experienced staff in Komodo; Some spots are will available on the following cruises:

- A140801 : august 1-10, 2014 from Bima-Labuanbajo
- A140828 : august 28 september 8 Denpasar-Denpasar
- A140924 : september 24-29 Labuanbajo-Labuanbajo

they have a great website with extensive information about the course cruises and diving spots

Shall you need further information , please get back to me

---------- Post added June 20th, 2014 at 10:35 AM ----------

hi guys,
I did a cruise with this company is absolutely great (liveaboard, diving spots, equipment and personnel)

why don't you have a look at
Diving Indonesia with Wallacea Live Aboards : Rajah Empat - Komodo - Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh Strait - Togian Islands & Banggai - Diving Indonesia - Wallacea Dive Cruise - Indonesian Liveaboard Experience with Paisabatu II and Ambai |.

they have a great website with extensive information about the course cruises and diving spots

Shall you need further information , please get back to me

I would like to find a liveaboard--most preferably in Raja Ampat, but I can be flexible--which agrees with that philosophy and will give me the freedom to go dive on my own. (Yes, with my lifelong dive buddy: my wife. And within recreational limits, etc., etc. I just want to go at my own speed and go where I want.)

...SNIP...

I have browsed dozens of web pages for Raja Ampat liveaboards, an none of them will talk about how they conduct their diving. They all go on and on about their great food, their masseuse, their luxurious cabins, the ambiance of the boat, etc., etc. But they never talk about the diving! I've even written to a few of them asking the hard questions, and after going back and forth a few times I learn they will conduct their diving the same way the Komodo Aggressor did. Nuts! I'd rather not go diving than have to tag along with a group.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

Bruce,

The things you mention are exactly the reason I started running dive trips. After years of frustration on trips alone and with friends, I discovered that with a full group booking it is possible to find operators that will allow flexible diving instead of forcing arbitrary limits on us. That must be worked out in advance with the operator (resort or LOB) and apparently is only done by a very few people who organize group trips.

I currently run 2-4 charter trips each year in Raja Ampat and have since 1999, and before that in other places since 1996, always with an agenda of flexibility - not just the normal rules of the dive operator.

I checked my website and see that I could probably do a better job of explaining how I conduct the diving. It is there briefly on several of the pages. I put up a new page recently to try and explain the difference - could be improved & perhaps I will find the time to expand the page: Value-Added-Charter vs Regular Liveaboard Booking

On my charters I offer full and partial days of "open-deck" diving, plus on other days unlimited bottom time, and also specially arranged dives during scheduled surface intervals (if for example someone want to do over/under photography we'll find a spot and send them in a tender with an "assistant" any time they want to go as long as the tender isn't needed for some other task.)

Open-Deck Diving - is where we keep the ship at one dive site, or in a bay that offers several sites within a small area for 1/2 or a full day; divers are allowed to dive when, with whom they want (or alone), as much as they want; if we have to move the ship at a certain time to reach the next site, divers are told when to be out of the water; dive tenders will go out as guests want, and stay on the site anytime someone is in the water (drivers rotated so they can stay attentive). This is all within safe limits of course and we keep an eye on everyone 'cause we don't want one bent diver to ruin the trip for the rest of the group. We try for about (total) 1/2 of each trip as open deck.

Other days we allow unlimited bottom time, keep the tenders on the site anytime someone is in the water, etc. Some truly astounding sites don't lend themselves to open-deck because of the currents. There is a best time to dive and we try to put the group (always limit to 12 guests on a charter) into the water at the peak time - but also (always) separate the 12 into 4 different drops (3 or 4 guests per tender drop "team") so that a large group isn't in the same spot on the site at the same time. Occasionally that happens anyway because of current or some major "find" that everyone wants to see - can't be prevented given the nature of human behavior - but at least most dives have the 12 guests split up so that we rarely see the others - only the divers we want to be around.

I do attempt to vet divers for their experience before they book onto a trip, and discourage beginning divers and people who are not really comfortable in the water from joining us. I don't always succeed in identifying divers for which my trip isn't appropriate (got a few blasts on forums from a couple of them!) and occasionally get people who've done hundreds of dives but are still quite uncomfortable in the water or who expect high voltage shark diving like Cocos in Raja Ampat!

I have my own team of cruise director, dive guides and local guide that come with me every year. With the extra guides I hire I can still put divers who need more assistance with a guide and separate them from the experienced divers so everyone has a good experience. We split the "teams" so that divers with compatible skills & interests are riding the tender to the site at the same time (notice I didn't say "diving as a group together"). For example, I might send out a solo diver who doesn't want a guide with 2 divers who want/need a guide in the same tender. In this example if there is a current, the guide can be sure all 3 are dropped into the correct spot, lead all 3 down to the reef, and then they can split up with the guide going with the 2 who want one.

This is getting too long!

Disclaimers: Weather conditions, currents, mechanical problems, etc. can force alteration of plans. One tender must always stay on the site watching the divers, so there can be a short wait for someone who wants to go out. On open-deck days 3 divers must go out together in order to take a guide (so that we don't end up with someone who needs a guide and none available), but this can be altered if not all the group is diving so much. Any diver who is discovered to be a risk to themselves and therefore to the trip will not be allowed to dive alone, or without a guide, whatever is appropriate to keep the diver & the trip safe.

If need be, I'm willing to eat C-rations and drink paddy water. In other words, I don't really care how great the food is. I don't want a massage at the end of the day, and I would be willing to sleep in a bunk room. But I do NOT want to have to tag along behind some kid who doesn't have a fraction of the time in the water I do. How do I find an operation that will let me do that?

The ship I charter isn't luxury but we do have private cabins for 2 with individual AC, ensuite bath. Food is tasty - tailored to divers on each trip, normally a mix of mostly Asian plus some Western and can accomodate allergies, vegan ,etc. Massage available, but we won't force it on you). It is quite comfortable. It is not a ship for someone who want to spend most of the time in their cabin or for non-divers. Nitrox available. One of the best ergonomically for diving that I've seen with an indoor dive deck, dive gear always inside (not in the sun), dive briefings inside, hot water showers for post-dives on the deck, inside storage for wetsuits, camera table with 2 big padded freshwater rinse tanks, more... anyway not a backpacker style ship.

Darnold9999 has been on the ship, but unfortunately I set him up to join the charter of another trip organizer that had an open space available last minute. He discovered that not all trip leaders will control abusive divers in their group and that caused big problems for Darnold9999 and for another scubaboard member who also joined that specific trip. My apologies DArnold, again!

Bruce, You wrote you prefer Raja Ampat. Seems you + wife and one of my charters might be a good fit. I invite you to check the website on my sig file below and contact me via email or phone for more info. I simply shouldn't have even written as much as I did here on scubaboard and I do have more to add!

Currently 2 spaces (1 cabin) available in 2014 due to a cancellation this month.

I'm a Truthaholic myself. I know you were asking for liveaboards but I'll add that Blue Lagoon dive shop in Truk will, once you splash, allow you to dive independently of their groups. You do not have to be a duckling behind the DM.

While they try to segregate single tanks from rebreathers and doubles that doesn't always happen. When it didn't there were no lime limits announced to rb or doubles guys and gals they had to be up after X minutes.

If you've not exhibited idiotic behavior previously, on a given dive if you've got the gas left the DM may well leave you and head up as he manages his N2 loading very closely. I've seen posts elsewhere complaining about this behavior but I was OK with it, ymmv. I know I got just under 5 minutes alone time on the I-169 :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom