how do I get involved?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a science degree and a newfound addiction/love for diving. How do I go beyond recreational diving to actually scientifically studying ecosystems in the ocean for the benefit of preservation and education? Are there organizations out there who need young strong hands, a mind for scientific study and a willingness for adventure and travel? I am currently on the path to grad school in business, but I've always had a dream of taking part in a movement to create an enterprise which responsibly allows more people to learn about our beautiful environment. Now my focus has moved from terrestrial forms to aquatic ones. I did work for a while on a documentary series about preserving habitat for elephants in asia. It was a very rewarding experience and I'd love to find an outlet in the marine sciences.

Soooooooooo cool that you are wanting to get into protecting/ monitoring and researching the marine environment.

Best place to start for you I think is volunteering on a program for a summer or for a year that involves diving on reefs, and monitoring fish or helping with a study on reefs....

There are so many places to work for with qualifications and interests like yours. Try having a look at my forum in the jobs and volunteering section.

www.envirotalk.org

But also try searching for organisations on Google including.

Greenforce
Earthwatch
Fronteir
Coral Cay Conservation
Opperation Wallacea

A great organisation to get involved in is Reef Check, if you are interested in making your normal recreational diving more rewarding and challenging. You estimate fish diversity and abundance and provide data for research.

but also type in key words like "volunteer coral reasearch"

There is a good introductory course to coral reef ecology here in Bermuda, that I took a few years ago. But it is expensive so unless you get some grad school to sponsor you or give you a grant and feel you will really gain from it, I would not reccomend it. Try to avoid paying to go on volunteer placements. With your qualifications you should be able to wangle a position that pays your food and board and flights perhaps. So have a look around. There are many sites to use to seach for placements (see my site) but Google will also be good.

Hope this helps
And good luck.

Let us know where you end up!

L.

Thanks for the great info bermuda, I have started doing some investigating into the leads you gave me. We can really end up accomplishing so much if we band together:)
I'm also a writer for a travel magazine and do some photography. Actually, my first dive was an assignment in Thailand to go and get certified and write about the experience, it eventually led me to fall in love with the ocean. Subsequently, here I am on this board meeting some great people who share some interests and passions. Life has a knack for creating situations like this. Hopefully we will cross paths on a project in the future.

many thanks,

Calvin

Since you're in the Vancouver area, you might want to check around for local opportunities. Volunteer organizations LOVE regulars; it cuts down tremendously on training time.
I'm real hazy on that part of N. America, but I believe you have a large public aquarium and some universities. Check to see if the aquarium has an education program... most do. With the universities, find the relevant marine science department (biology, ecology, wildlife/fisheries) and check faculty for local diving research, or a scientific diving program (most are university-run). You can also check to see if there is a dive safety officer... that dude would know everything.

Finally, if there are regional marine sanctuaries in the area (which I believe there are), there should be a local office with a research and/or education coordinator. Give them a ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom