How do you drift dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt, the experience of drift diving for the first time can be kind of intimidating, or at least it was for me. I didn't like the ocean being in charge of my dive. But in fact, a gentle drift is one of the most fun ways to dive . . . you don't kick unless you want to stop. When the current gets stronger, you have to be a bit more observant, because it tends to be laminar, and if you're just a few feet away from your buddy, you can get into water which is moving much faster. Buddy teams get separated quickly if you aren't paying attention.

Each group has a dive guide, and it's a good idea to stay behind him. At the end of the dive, he will shoot a bag, and the whole group will gradually ascend with him. The boats track the bubbles, and the bags.

Minimum safety equipment, for my money, is an SMB and spool of your own (to shoot if you get separated from the guide) and a noisemaking device for the surface, in case you don't come up where the boat expects you.

Thank-you, everyone for the fabulous input regarding drift diving! I will read the chapter in the AOW manual, get the appropriate safety equipment, and relax as recommended.

Matt,

I have been there three times and dove with two different dive ops. Their routine were very standard. Normally there will be a list of divers associated with a dedicated DM and , if the organization is using several diving boats, the name of te boat you will be on as well a schematic as to where each group will sit on the boat. Some boats can have up to three diving groups. You set-up your equipment and at one point your DM will get the group together for the dive briefing. To me this is the start of the dive. I stop doing whatever I am doing and listen religiously. He will describe the site and how he or she intends to dive it from a depth and position perspective. Two things I do record...what makes him stand out in the water, being the color of his fins, or other piece of equipment as it is him or her you need to be following and then name of the boat.

The dives themselves are very enjoyable...unless there is some waves the DM jumps first, ascertain he is where there supposed to be and then tell the other divers to jump in. You normally go down as a group when everybody is ready and remain as a group. Keep in mind that at times, there might be many boats consisting of several dive teams diving the same reef. Reef are large and it is not a problem however at times groups will meet underwater and this is when you want to make sure you are following the right DM. The dives are done without surface marker. When the DM hits his briefed dive time or if somebody hits reserve before and communicate it to the DM, he will inflate his surface marker and send it to the surface. If it is due to dive time, the entire group will come up together. Being in the same body of water everybody will drift at pretty much the same speed. If it is because somebody has reached reserve, that individual and his diving partner will be sent up once the marker is at the surface. The individuals will ascend along the line do a three min stop and surface at the marker and wait for the boat. In fact it may be any boat that will cruise by and ask you for the name of your boat. You pass it along and they will contact your boat by radio. You remain at the marker and the boat will come to you for pick up. When you get the OK from the captain, you get to the ladder and exit.

It could not be simpler than that. The important point is be able to recognize your DM under water, stay relatively close to him and to the group and enjoy the dive. Whatever swimming you may do should be positional ie maintain your position within the group as the current will carry you through the reef for you to enjoy.

I have a concern about the part about everybody descending together, and quickly. It takes me longer than most to equalize my ears on the way down. I typically equalize with every breath for the first 20 feet or so from the surface, and frequently have to backtrack a few feet and re-equalize 2 or 3 times during that first 20 feet. I hope I don't get left behind.

You will not get left behind. The DM will stay with the slowest diver during descent. We (wife and I) just returned home Wednesday night from Coz, her first ocean diving ever, my first in many, many years. The sooner you get control of your of your buoyancy and trim, the better. My wife has "floaty" feet due to needing 5mm booties, so her small feet will fit her fins. I brought some fill-able ankle weights on the trip. Packed with sand they were not heavy enough. We couldn't find lead shot on the island, so ended up buying 26 one oz. fishing sinkers (expensive on Coz $32 US). We were able to fine tune her trim very easily. Adjusting your tank on the BC (higher/lower) will also help. Once your not fighting trim and buoyancy, RELAX. Get calm, face perpendicular to the reef and enjoy. Once your task loading is low, concentrate on lowering your breathing rate, calm and easy.

I dove aluminum 80's all but the last day when I used steel 120's. I won't get into a tank form debate, but for my money steel is the way to go for increased bottom time and ease of buoyancy control, especially at the end of the dive during the safety stop. If your dive op has a time cutoff, vs. diving until at a minimum pressure, the 120's may be a waste. As a new diver steel 100's may keep you with the pack, and still benefit your buoyancy. Remember every extra pound of lead, requires a corresponding amount of air during ascent. As you rise, the air in your BC expands, accelerating your ascent. More weight means more air, which means a more difficult ascent to manage. I cut my weight in half using a steel 120 vs. an aluminum 80.

Your going to have a blast!

I really enjoyed your post. It's full of compliments, but it's also full of humor.

Matt, your desire to absorb every bit of scuba knowledge that you can get your hands on is a sure sign that you are completely hooked on diving. Congratulations and welcome to the club of fellow addicts.

Thank-you! The weird thing is, I can't figure out why I like it. I'm not even sure it's the diving itself that I like. I guess it's all aspects of it--the concepts for sure, but also the comaraderie, the exotic locales, and many other factors.

There is also a place for experiential learning in developing your skills. Developing a comfort level with your equipment for example is best acquired through actual dives under varying conditions. Over time skills like bouyancy control will become automatic muscle memory responses to varying conditions. At each stage of your skill development different pieces will fall into position as appropriate. There is so much to learn and so many sources of instruction, confounded by changing standards and for profit mass education business models. As a new diver, the best improvements in your skills will come from doing more dives.

Point taken. Living in Maryland and not enjoying cold water (yet), I'll be doing all my diving via airplane trips. I plan on doing a dive trip every 6-8 weeks throughout the year. I have my third trip planned at Sunset House 3/29-4/2 (during which I'll also be doing the rescue diver course). I may be able to get a short trip in to Fort Lauderdale in May. Then the Cozumel Invasion in June-July.

You have more Knowledge than a new diver should.

I'll try not to let my knowledge get in the way of my experience. I don't usually, actually. I'm the kind of person to whom thinking is like breathing. I'm completely relaxed with concepts, they don't intimidate me in any way. Many years ago I taught one of my younger brothers to play chess. After ten minutes he exclaimed in disgust, "Hey! When you play this game you have to think!" That was when I discovered that to many people thinking is tiring.

Anyone who has such a quest for diving knowledge and has posted such thoughtful questions as you have is someone I would be happy to dive with.

Thank-you! That's one thing about the Cozumel trip, there probably won't be an issue finding a dive buddy, even though I'm traveling there solo.

By the way, the "crew list", which is supposed to be updated weekly, was last updated about 6 weeks ago. I was kind of hoping to see my name on there by now.

I would like to invite you to join the March invasion if you can get away for a few days between the 12 and the 19.

Wish I could, but I have to make as much money as I can (which means seeing lots of patients) in between dive trips to support my scuba habit! That's per my boss (aka wife).

However, I won't stay within an arms length of you, as I have been kicked in the face or had reg or mask knocked off one too many times. I will however stay within a fin kick or two.

Guilty as charged. :)

You can also hire a private DM to practice skills development.

Yes, I have a dive with a DM scheduled the day I arrive in Grand Cayman.

I also recommend you get a copy of Jim Lapenta's book, very informative and supports a fellow SBr.

Sounds good. Now, what book is that again?

I have a concern about the part about everybody descending together, and quickly. It takes me longer than most to equalize my ears on the way down. I typically equalize with every breath for the first 20 feet or so from the surface, and frequently have to backtrack a few feet and re-equalize 2 or 3 times during that first 20 feet. I hope I don't get left behind.
Don't force it. Ear injuries have ruined many dive trips. Practice on the way to the site and right before you go in. Some divers take decongestants & antihistamines and the Dr.Kay video is helpful.

Start equalizing your ears the day before your 1st dive. Then often on the day of your 1st dive starting when you wake up. Explain to the DM (and your buddy) that you have an ear problem and would like to descend to 10 to 15 feet while others are entering. Just stay below the group. You may be pleasantly surprised to find you will have absolutely no problem by the 2nd or 3rd day.

Oh, and if you are doing a drift dive from shore, stick a 5NP in your pocket for a short taxi ride home in case things don't quite go as planned.

Last edited by a moderator:
First rule of drift diving: Go with the flow! Why not? You can be sure that everyone else will! Kicks should be done to change direction and to go check out a critter. By being the laziest diver on the reef, you'll be sure to increase your bottom time. You'll find that everyone is being pulled by the same current even if it takes you a bit longer to descend. In Coz, 100+ ft vis is common, so you should see them the whole time.

Second rule of drift diving: The guy with the flag is never, ever lost. If you and your buddy stick with the leader, then everything is cool. The boat will follow the flag and you'll appreciate just how easy it is to get on the boat that's drifting with the current so you don't have to fight it.

Third rule of drift diving: Learn to hide from the current. Just like a wall blocks the wind, the reef can block the current. This is especially important when you want to see critters and keep back with your buddy. This will challenge your situational awareness, your buoyancy, your trim and your non-silting kick techniques. Have fun developing these skills!

Fourth rule of drift diving: Carry a safety sausage, a finger spool and learn how to use them! If you are more than 100 ft from the flag, simply inflate (shoot) your sausage while you're at your safety stop. This will let the boat driver know precisely where you are BEFORE you get too far away. If you don't have this down, I'll be glad to teach you and anyone else how to perform this easy, yet vital skill just off the house beach on a shore dive. It's part of my AOW class requirements as well.

Final rule of drift diving: RELAX and have some fun! That's the main point and benefit of doing a drift dive. You'll find that they are way easier done than said and are my favorite kind of diving. That's the only issue I have with diving here in the Keys: we always have to find the right boat and there are so many choices!!!

What if I get pulled away from the group?

go to the surface

How do you know you're at the pick-up point?

You are ALWAYS at a pick-up point. The Captain has an excellent view and (if he's good) will put the ladder in your hands in two shakes. I like these Captains by far the best.

--------------------------------------

the drifting i like best when there is no group. you carry the flag and your partner hangs with you. its the BEST in my opinion

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom