how do you exhale on surfacing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I ask you guys, how deep are you talking about with these specialized breathing techniques? I started a few months back with some basic freediving fins - Ive ALWAYS been awesome in the water... pretty sure I was a marine animal in a past life lol and now I've taken up spearfishing. My goal is not to go deeper and deeper, nor to challenge myself to the point of being unsafe. I want to enjoy the breath hold and hunt. I go as deep as I am comfortable and thats max at 45ft. I don't have a lot of bottom time at that depth, and I notice some days I can stay under much longer than others. 25-30ft is my comfort zone and I can hunt at this level before feeling that I have to surface. My style is simple, no hyperventilation one deep breath and exhale last few feet towards surface through flex snorkel with purge. Pop up and breath as my body wishes at the surface. On deeper dives when I feel really out of breath at the surface I wait until my breath returns to a calm pattern before another dive. I want to make sure that I am being safe but not looking to get below where I am comfortable.

OK so here is what I have found and what works for me. When free-diving I slowly exhale small amounts of air as I go down to allow me to sink rather than fight the air trapped in my lungs. By the time I reach the depth I intended I now have half the air I originally took in. As I start to run out of air I again exhale small bits. By the time I reach the top I am out of air and my first reaction is to inhale. This immediately feeds my system and reduces the need for "rescue breaths". Practice holding your breath empty rather than full and concentrate on your breathing and your heart rate. Try to slow yourself down as much as possible.

This is possibly the most disturbing freediving "advice" I've see on this board and downright dangerous, setting yourself up for a blackout. The moderator should remove this post.

There is no benefit of exhaling half the air on decent in recreational freediving (advanced FRC diving aside) all you are doing is shortening you bottom time (most people prefer the opposite). The feeling of fullness from a peak inhalation goes away anyway as you descend and the air in your lungs compress. If you are so buoyant that you need to release air to comfortably descend you need more weights.

"As I start to run out of air I again exhale small bits." So you are on the bottom, your oxygen store is now running low and your body tells you to return to the surface and you... exhale(!) which will further reduce your oxygen supply and set yourself up for a blackout before reaching the surface. Also, releasing air at depth will make you less buoyant so now you are kicking up harder expanding even more energy/oxygen to reach the surface.

The exhale in freediving does not occur until 5-6 feet below surface, so we can take that first breath of air the moment we break the surface. We then continue with recovery breathing - NOT "rescue breaths" which is something completely different. If you need "rescue breaths" you have most likely blacked out, you haven't responded to BTT and is hopefully being egressed by a properly trained buddy giving you... "rescue breaths".

"Practice holding your breath empty rather than full and concentrate on your breathing and your heart rate. " - not sure what you have in mind here...

Don't like to jump on other posters but it scares the c--p out me that people new to the sport read nonsense like this and go out and kill themselves.

Get trained and dive safe!

Last edited:
There is a big difference to 'duck-dive snorkeling' and free-diving to 'personally' significant depths for extended time. When you really push your physical limits, blackout is a legitimate concern.

Trying to teach someone breathing over the internet is like trying to teach someone to whistle.

I couldn't agree more Supergaijin. Unfortunately the distinction between the two activities get blurred when you mix them in one forum. I would love to see SB separating the two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom