Question How do you have your BOV offboarded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a male QC6 plug into the bottom of a splitter The splitter sends one line to my ADV and the other line around the back of my neck to a right hand feed shrimp. This is technically on board bailout since I run a on board 50 setup. But I plug offboard into it in the same fashion and use that for my dill and bail out just the same. Essentially set up like a fathom except instead of a manual add valve I just use a splitter.

BOV line runs behind my neck, splitter can be seen in my left armpit and the hose with the QC6 in this case is coming from the 50 but in the 3 l configuration comes from off board just the same. I don't run a dill mav just a push button ADV.

SmartSelect_20240405_145934_Gallery.jpg

I run an SG four port DIL MAV on my XCCR with a female QC6 on the bottom port. One flow thru port goes to the manifold at the back which feeds the wing and BOV, the other flow thru runs to a shutoff then to the ADV. The button control goes to the T piece. Once I plug in I have the option to use off board or on board DIL to wing, BOV, ADV and still have MAV control.

Cool tips @grantctobin about relative weights and the clearability of the male QC6 fitting on the cylinder side. 👍🏼

These pics really help to see how people are doing it.

With a BOV that connects on the left, I started out just short-plugging without going over a shoulder etc. Just open water though. Would be cool to see some more configs

Sorry that I’m not really going to add anything to the original post here but I have to ask,
Firstly I’m guessing this set up isn’t uncommon in the US? I’m guessing the OP is US? I mean the running a BOV from a bailout? And is this for a specific need? (I realise to bailout) I understand the OP,s user is on a defender which I assume is using 3ltr onboard cylinders, with wing, bov, adv, and mav fed from it, and drysuit from its own cylinder right?
Because for me that set up would be good for somewhere between 5-6hrs in the water, granted I’m an ocean wrecker so not really a caver but I think your adding a few unnecessary failure points and complexity here by considering the bailout cylinder bov feed, which could outweigh the advantages,
Clearly you have a bov so there is no BO necklace to consider if your unfortunate enough to sample hypercapnia, your flicking a switch, granted depending on depth the 3ltr could be depleted quickly but a couple of breaths and bailout is the only way here, hypercapnia is only born from a badly packed scrubber or poor attitude to sofnolime quality or husbandry (how else could I word some of the practises) so with that in mind as long as you don’t over exert yourself the problem can have the “risk of” controlled to a minimum, after all any form of diving is really risk mitigation,
Please don’t take this post as I’m lambasting or pillorying anyone here, I just think it maybe worth taking a step back from the problem and reassessing, ie 3ltr 300bar onboards? ,, if you can fill to 300 ,,, and if your in a position to loose lead,
Or I could be completely off point here and this Bailout-Bov is to satisfy a particular need I’m not understanding in which case my points are off target.

I'm having a little difficult time understanding your differences between flipping a switch and going to a necklace or flipping a switch and not having to even remove the mouthpiece through a hypercapnic event.

In any case breathing off a 3l is going to get you nowhere in that event. So breathing off a much larger source is ideal.

We usually figure that it's pretty tough to calculate if you have enough gas during that event. But a 3l is clearly out.

Please outline the failure point and disadvantages. Quick connect fittings such as QC6 have proven to be reliable beyond armchair metrics.

I'm having a little difficult time understanding your differences between flipping a switch and going to a necklace or flipping a switch and not having to even remove the mouthpiece through a hypercapnic event.

In any case breathing off a 3l is going to get you nowhere in that event. So breathing off a much larger source is ideal.

We usually figure that it's pretty tough to calculate if you have enough gas during that event. But a 3l is clearly out.

Please outline the failure point and disadvantages. Quick connect fittings such as QC6 have proven to be reliable beyond armchair metrics.
Little confused here,
If diving a BOV the principle is that in the event of bailout you turn / flip a mechanical switch and then breathe OC for a couple of breaths and bailout to a suitable off board cylinder / rebreather to then exit safetly,
As depth , number of bailout cylinders, time in water and particulars of diving environment is not discussed (cave I think was mentioned but cave and heavily restrictive cave I think is also different) I’m having difficulty to fully understand,
My diving principles have me take my bailouts with LP connections for the event of needing to plug in to the ccr for closed circuit back up gas but I’d not plug any of it in unless needed, bear in mind that my bailout cylinders are stacked (leashed if more than 2 taken) so I can have suitable for depth bailout the only one immediately available, using the plugged in to bov method you’d have to unplug one and plug in another according to depth (again, am I missing something?) and then re-stash the now obsolete hose is my understanding correct or is my style of diving completely different and so my understanding of complexities completely wrong?

Completely wrong by what I think is most commonly used as a philosophy here. 90% of people or greater I bet are leaving the bottom gas on the BOV plugged in consistently. This gives you a bailout at all depths unless you're mix is very hypoxic and then not breathable at 20 ft even. Some courses do teach to change the mixture that is plugged in but I think that is the exception not the rule.

Even 10/50 or 10/70 you could breathe briefly on Deco despite being not ideal, would give you plenty of time to grab a bottle of any other gas, which in good practice you would be rotating the bailout that is most appropriate to a usual position.

For instance I leave 10/50 plugged in my BOV at all times. I could switch at 20 ft and despite being around a .16 - .17 there ( depending how close my mix is) I have suitable time to grab a rich OC bailout.

Obviously if you have a dive like Dr Richard Harris or the wet mules with 4% oxygen you might want to reconsider your philosophy.

Ok, I now understand your dynamics better, so that’s fair enough.
Thanks for the insight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom