How do you tell a reputable diveshop online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Esox69LB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just returned from a dive trip and felt the need to follow rule number one in diving: If it does not feel right, don't do it. I got lucky and walked in off the street to a shop that saved my trip, and the owner of the "other" shop refunded my deposit so I am not going to name names, but..... in general, how is one to sort thru the great websites and testimonials and filter out a shop that may not be as it is presented online?

What were you asking about?

Sounds like travel services from what I am reading. Was this a trip to Playa del Carmen?

If it's decoding travel packages from a dive shop, it's probably best to stick with one that sponsors or hosts a local dive club. Go to a few meetings, listen to what they are saying, then decide if you want to throw down and spend a week with these people.

Buying a trip from a dive shop, just one that they are selling and not sending a group out on to? Probably a bad idea. A store supplied trip leader can't be relied upon to do everything for you or address every complaint, but they can go a long way in telling you "where to stand for the bus", etc. they may well be sending a group for a warm water open water dive segment of their certification. Tag along?

Until you are ready for planning and booking your own adventures, might want to go with a group. I have hooked up with dive clubs 900 miles away (Houston's Oceanic Ventures, Inc.), here's a small sample nationally:

Dive Guide Scuba Diving Clubs Diveguide.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom