How do YOU use baby shampoo to defog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Start with a dry mask, apply a small amount full strength, let it dry on the mask (day before, if possible), rinse just before getting in the water.

50/50 in a spray bottle. I apply it and rinse just before donning and diving. Never a problem.

I'll add that a good cleaned and defogged mask is like a seasoned skillet. You don't mess with it between dives. I rarely wash or even rinse mine. From me to the mask cases and remember to keep nay oily stuff away from it.

Ron Frank is probably right that you have lots of latitude in how you do it. If the mask is exquisitely clean you may even get away with nothing! As long as there is a film there to break the surface tension so the condensation sheets instead of beads you'll be good. Save any mask drills for the end of the dive especially in really cold water.

Pete

Make absolutely sure your finger is free of sunscreen, lotion or salad dressing. The oils will defeat the surfactant and you will be diving in vinaigrette.

Pete

I can understand sunscreen and lotions but, Ummm, just curious, how did you find out that salad dressing in your mask is not a good idea?

doesn't everyone put ranch in there mask for apres dive vegetable platter

I use about 10:1 (water:bsham). I don't rinse my mask, though. This way, a bottle of shampoo lasts around 10 years. (j/k)

I can understand sunscreen and lotions but, Ummm, just curious, how did you find out that salad dressing in your mask is not a good idea?

Don't you eat on the SI?

Actually I extrapolated to something less than obvious to make the point, oil in the mask is evil. :11:

Pete

I use it two ways.

Your #3 is what I do if I remember. Typically, I use straight J&J Baby Shampoo on the mask when I clean it post dive. Then it's ready to go whether my dive is the next day or the next week. I don't even bother rinsing the mask pre-dive, since it is easier to do that at the beginning of the descent.

My other way is to use 50/50 Baby Shampoo and Rubbing (Isopropyl) Alcohol. This mixture will really clean up a mask in a hurry, even if I've accidentally smeared onto the mask some of the silicone grease that I use on my moustache. I've also used this with success with other divers show up with a new mask that they haven't properly cleaned up and have had fogging problems on the first dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom