How do you weigh your bags for the flights home?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it, but I'm able to keep my present bag around 40# right now. My plans are for a lighter BC in the near future. I don't carry many clothes when I go to parts unknown. My carry on usually weighs between 18 and 22 lbs. which includes my video gear and enough clothes to last two weeks (who needs clothes). I'm working real hard to get my scuba bag down to about 35# and if I can get smaller fins I just might be able to make all my gear the carry-on variety. My last trip to Bonaire (Sept) my bag didn't get their for 4 days. It's happened coming home from some islands, but I could care less coming home so long as it gets there.

Ooops! Maybe I should have waited until after Xmas? My daughter gave me a much nicer one, larger handle & hook so I don't need the bungee cords. :silly:

I try to skip Xmas gift exchanges, preferring to give whenever I want to and have almost got others to not gift me - but she insists on giving me something on the traditional holidays. Oh well, so now I have two. :blush:

I use this one from my local Bed Bath and Beyond Store: Digital Luggage Scale - Bed Bath & Beyond They usually send out coupons for 20-25% off one item so got it for less than $20.
Takes up very little room and weight in the luggage.

Vlad,

I had the misfortune of having to travel without the benefit of drying my gear last month.

I went to the Big Island from Oahu with all my divegear.

On my flight to the Big Island I was 1 pound UNDER.

On my return flight with wet gear I was somehow 10 pounds over... that means somehow I was carrying 11 pounds of water in my wet gear... dry gear weighs significantly less than wet gear, learned my lesson the hard way.

The worst part about it was that I only had two bags: my dive bag and my laptop backpack... there was no way I was going to put wet gear into my backpack so I just had to eat the weight penalty which was pretty pricey...

$$$$$$$$$

11 pounds?! A gallon of water only weighs 6.7 pounds. So you were carrying almost 2 gallons of water in wet gear!!?? I think not. I'd say those scales were way off!

I'd be interested in an accuracy comparison if you would in time...?

Here is the scale I used to weigh the new gadget. Says between 3 and 3.5 oz but it hasn't been calibrated since January 2001...
[c]
28jxjfb.jpg
[/c]

Hi Don,

Just got my scales today.

They are very close to being dead on.
I tested them against my Metler Toledo meter sacle and they were only 0.04 # off from my scale at 10#s and they were 0.08 off at 25#s and 0.10 at 45#s.

So for the $5.00 spent, I would say they are good money spent.

Jim Breslin

11 pounds?! A gallon of water only weighs 6.7 pounds. So you were carrying almost 2 gallons of water in wet gear!!?? I think not. I'd say those scales were way off!

I thought the same thing when I had the same thing happen. From RNO to KOA, all my gear, large beach towel, and wetsuit- 45# or so (don't remember exactly, but that's my average gear bag weight when I fly) From KOA to RNO it was 53# (this one I remember because they let me slide). The towel alone, still damp from Hawaiian air, made a several pound difference. The wetsuit is another heavy one when damp. And of course coming from Reno, my stuff is super-dry on the way out. I no longer take towels when I travel because they're too hard to dry and too heavy when they're wet! And I plan on a 5 pound increase due to wet/damp gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom