Question How does pressure increase with depth in water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Answering myself as I try to understand this. Potential energy is different in all three scenarios.
Potential energy is the sum of two different types of energy: pressure and gravitational.
Evaluating the specific energy (that is, energy/mass, or J/kg).
When you take 1 kg of water at a certain depth, its specific potential energy is g×z + p/rho
where g is gravity's acceleration (9.81 m/s2), z is elevation measured from Earth's center in meters, p is pressure in Pa and rho is water's density (roughly 1000 kg/m3).
In two points at the same depth the potential energy is exactly the same, independently that one of them is inside a cavern. Both have the same elevation and the same pressure...

PS: capillary force is the result of tangential tension acting at the interface between water and the walls of a tiny pipe.
Usually this force pulls the water upwards, causing the water to be sucked inside the tiny pipe, so that its upper surface will become raised above the open surface of the basin.
The narrower the tube, the higher will be the level inside it.
But in the end very little changes. At the bottom of the capillary tube the pressure is still rho×gxdepth. And at the top of it there is still atmospheric pressure.
3-s2.0-B9780815515449500051-f02-50-9780815515449.jpg

I don't think this is correct.

For example, let's assume a 10m tall cylindrical tank the top of which is buried 30m below ground level. The tank is completely filled with water and is connected to the surface only by a very narrow pipe. If the pipe is full of air, then I think we can agree the absolute pressure at the bottom of the tank is very close to 2 atmosphere (surface pressure + 1 atmosphere of water).

Now if we fill the pipe with water, what happens to the absolute pressure at the bottom of the tank? Does it suddenly become 5 atmospheres? It seems more likely to me that it becomes 2 atmospheres + a little bit where the little bit is the weight of the water in the pipe divided by the surface area of the tank.

If I'm wrong about this, I can't wait to find out how.
You are wrong. The small pipe full of water pressurizes the reservoir, at its bottom the total absolute pressure is 5 bars.

You are wrong. The small pipe full of water pressurizes the reservoir, at its bottom the total absolute pressure is 5 bars.
I accept that I was wrong.

I think I finally understand why. My issue was Conversation of Energy. I couldn't see how such a small addition of potential energy in the form the additional water could cause such a massive increase in pressure throughout the system.

What I think I was missing is that pressure is not a measure of the energy in a system. The work that can be performed by the pressure is ultimately determined by the volume over which it will apply. If the volume of water in your 30m pipe to the surface is 2 liters, then yes the absolute pressure at the bottom of the 10m tank is 5bar. But there's so little energy that it could only push the walls back enough to cause a 2 liter increase in the volume of the tank before it drops to 2 bar. Make the pipe wide enough to hold 1 million liters and the tank has to increase in volume by 1 million liters to get to the same end pressure.

This explains the standpipe versus water tank example as well. The standpipe will produce the same initial pressure as a water tank of the same height, but the pressure will drop much faster if you can't fully replenish it with pumps.

BTW, this is what happened to Chicago's Water Tower during the Great Fire of 1871. Despite the name, the tower actually housed a 3' diameter standpipe. The tower building survived the fire, but the pumps that supplied it failed and the remaining water quickly drained.

I accept that I was wrong.

I think I finally understand why. My issue was Conversation of Energy. I couldn't see how such a small addition of potential energy in the form the additional water could cause such a massive increase in pressure throughout the system.

What I think I was missing is that pressure is not a measure of the energy in a system. The work that can be performed by the pressure is ultimately determined by the volume over which it will apply. If the volume of water in your 30m pipe to the surface is 2 liters, then yes the absolute pressure at the bottom of the 10m tank is 5bar. But there's so little energy that it could only push the walls back enough to cause a 2 liter increase in the volume of the tank before it drops to 2 bar. Make the pipe wide enough to hold 1 million liters and the tank has to increase in volume by 1 million liters to get to the same end pressure.

This explains the standpipe versus water tank example as well. The standpipe will produce the same initial pressure as a water tank of the same height, but the pressure will drop much faster if you can't fully replenish it with pumps.

BTW, this is what happened to Chicago's Water Tower during the Great Fire of 1871. Despite the name, the tower actually housed a 3' diameter standpipe. The tower building survived the fire, but the pumps that supplied it failed and the remaining water quickly drained.
Well, actually pressure IS a form of potential energy.
The amount of energy contained in 1 kg of water at pressure p is p/rho, where rho is water density (1000 kg/m3).
So, if at the bottom of your reservor you place a nozzle spraying the kg of water on a Pelton turbine, which drives an alternator, you get a triple energy conversion:
1) the nozzle converts potential energy to kinetic energy (p/rho=>1/2×v^2)
2) the Pelton turbine converts kinetic energy into mechanical labour (torque × crank rotation angle)
3) the alternator converts the mechanical labour in electric energy (J)
Of course each of these conversions involves some losses.
And yes, after you spilled out that kg of water towards the turbine, the pressure in the reservoir drops. So, after spilling a small amount of water, your pressurising pipe is empty and the pressure is back at 2 bars.
If now you measure the energy spent for pumping water up for filling the pipe, you will find that the gravitational potential energy spent (g×z) is slightly more than the energy recovered by the turbine-alternator.
Still the efficiency is very high, more than 90% of the energy spent on the pump is recovered by the turbine.
This explains why here in Italy we make large use of pumped hydropower storage.
During night we buy nuclear energy from France at very low price and we use it for pumping water in our reservoirs on Alps, filling the artificial lakes.
During daily peak hours we use that pressurised water for feeding turbines, injecting back energy onto the electrical grid, and selling it at three times the cost.
As the energy losses are less than 10%, you can understand how this trick is profitable!
In conclusion, you are not wrong considering pressure a form of energy storage.
And yes, the energy conservation principle applies perfectly to hydrostatics, and, with some losses, also to hydrodynamics.

The first upside down triangle does not lead to more pressure, commonly known as pounds per square inch. If the columns of water in both pictures are the same elevation or depth they generate the same pressure no matter the actual volume because the pressure is measured in a ratio of pounds (weight) per square inch (area). A 1 inch square column of water 33ft deep will generate the same psi at the bottom of a column of water 100 square feet 33 ft deep.

I didn't read all the post but it looks like it drifted into water towers......I have taught fire service hydraulics for almost 20 years........as long as you understand that total weight and PSI are two related but different things you can easily understand that a water tower that you find in central US (ball on top) will generate the same pressure as a large cylinder type water tower you see more on the east coast. The ball type are utilized to facilitate psi within the water system were the cylinder type tend to be lower in elevation and supply water supply while using elevation differences from water sheds in mountain ranges.

If you do the math, a column of water (at least 1 square inch in diameter) will generate .434 psi per foot. In the fire service we generalize a commercial floor elevation in a building will require 5 psi additional pressure to overcome the elevation gain........class is over.

Pressure is defined as follow: Pressure (P) = Force (F) / Area (A)

P = F / A

Force (F) = Mass Water (m) * Gravitational Constant (g)

F = m * g

We can substitute the mass of the water (m) with the volume (V) and density (d): Force (F) = Volume (V) * Density (d) * Gravitational Constant (g).

F = V * d * g

The Volume depends on the height (h) and area (A), so we can substitute those as well: Force (F) = Height (H) * Area (A) * Density (d) * Gravitational Constant (g).

F = H * A * d * g

We are finally at the stage where we can substitute this derived formula in our first one.

Pressure (P) = (Height (H) * Area (A) * Density (d) * Gravitational Constant (g)) / Area (A)
P = (H * A * d * g) / A

As can be easily observed now, the area will cancel each other out, it becomes irrelevant. The pressure will only be effected by the effective height of the water column, and not the area.
I should have read this more carefully the first time through. My basic error was thinking pressure was a direct measure of force, instead of force over area.

I apologize to those who feel I've wasted their time. As you probably guessed, my physics is self-taught. I know the basics and can obviously look up specific terms, but for questions like this I need to work up from those basics by trying to visualize what is going on. I think it's a fun exercise, but it's not always successful :)

I should have read this more carefully the first time through. My basic error was thinking pressure was a direct measure of force, instead of force over area.

I apologize to those who feel I've wasted their time. As you probably guessed, my physics is self-taught. I know the basics and can obviously look up specific terms, but for questions like this I need to work up from those basics by trying to visualize what is going on. I think it's a fun exercise, but it's not always successful :)
It was a fun and educational thread, it will be there in the search results for the next person or student to wonder the same thing.

Kudos for learning something new, and for being cool enough not to make it an over-the-top argument like most people on the internet do these days.

Back
Top Bottom