How far would you take a loved one who wants to become a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know this is going to be contentious, but I'm curious on people's thoughts...

If you had a spouse, child, etc who wanted to become a diver, how far down that learning path would you be comfortable taking them before handing them over to an instructor?

Which skills do you think you can adequatly teach as a non-instructor versus which ones actually need a professional? Is it all about liability or do instructors actually know more than experienced divers?

As a now retired instructor, I would be perfectly comfortable taking my own kids or my own spouse into my own pool with all of our own gear and teaching them all of the basics prior to them taking an "official" certification course.

Took a customer diving in his pool, because he wanted to try it,
Then a few times in a canal.
He was hooked, bought a bunch of used gear, I filled his tanks, he probably dove for 2-3 years with me,
Then he wanted to go diving down south, took a course before he went.

The Instructor, realized he didn't need to baby sit.😆 ( we where doing 110ft dives, and he is a natural in the water)

He is my main dive buddy, and he has a boat.

If I hadn't taken him in a pool and in open water, there's no chance he would ever have tried diving.

I have taken my son, 13 at the time, off the dock at my parent's house. It's fun to see the bass hanging out in the grass and green water. This is done with him on my primary and me on my air2. My wife is OW but I take her as my buddy down to whatever depth is needed for that particular dive.

None, I even farmed out my own wife to another instructor. I don't need that kind of headache in my life.
(I am actually teaching her a rebreather crossover next month and I very much not looking forward to that)

Back
Top Bottom