How long is it since you dived?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went out on Sunday....will be going out again on Saturday. I try to make it out every weekend, weather permitting. February was brutal in socal....well, there were some days that were decent but most of them were in the middle of the week, and it's just not always possible to get out when the swell model says it's time to go. So I make due....and get anxious and bitter sometimes!

As for whether diving is like riding a bike, I have no idea. I've only been diving since June and have never been out of the water for more than three weeks at a time. That said, I know if I don't practice things like mask removal and replace, they are much more shaky when I decide to try again.

Last Friday (March 13th).

Leaving for Key Largo in four hours. :)

That is called Skiting in my country. You lucky bastard.

I last dived on Sunday, and will dive again tonight as that is about the maximum length of time I let go between dives :) I dive one day (sometimes both days but this is rare) a weekend and one day through the week each week, with very few exceptions.

I am not sure there should be an enforced refresher after 'x' amount of time out of the water. Should be up to the individual. I imagine someone with 1000+ dives taking a year off would not be as problematic as someone with 10 dives taking a year off.

Sunday was my last dive, but as Bob says, I'll be wet in about two hours! I try to get out twice a week.

I think anybody who's been out of the water for a prolonged period (six months or more) would benefit from either a refresher, or a very simple dive with skills practice. Of course, there are people with thousands of dives who could take a couple of years off and it wouldn't faze them, but for most of us, the skills are perishable.

does it matter if you haven't been wet for 2 hours, 2 weeks, or 2 months? No matter what is always to long since you have been diving.

I dived 2 1/2 weeks ago with American Dream II in Fort Lauderdale, FL with some great fellow SBers: (Chip (ONESPEED), Terri (TasDiver), Doug (VideoDude), Carmen (crd_kats), Dave (Wormil), Tim (Netmage), and Kim (Down4Fun)

I last dived on Sunday, and will dive again tonight as that is about the maximum length of time I let go between dives :) I dive one day (sometimes both days but this is rare) a weekend and one day through the week each week, with very few exceptions.

I am not sure there should be an enforced refresher after 'x' amount of time out of the water. Should be up to the individual. I imagine someone with 1000+ dives taking a year off would not be as problematic as someone with 10 dives taking a year off.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the second paragraph. On one hand, if someone has a significant amount of dives under their belt, great, but in health care we still require people to renew their certifications & licenses regardless of how long they've been doing it. The reason is that lives can be lost if people aren't held to the same standards regardless of how long they've been doing it.

Sure, scuba diving is not the same as health care, but it also involves possible loss of life. I have my own mixed feelings as to a mandatory refresher, since it would probably just deteriorate into a cash cow like it has for the AHA, but I think it's certainly a good idea for someone to maintain proficiency regardless of how long they've been doing it. The refresher course for PADI for instance probably doesn't get used enough. If someone hasn't gone diving for a year, probably not an issue regardless of how many dives they have, but much beyond two or more years, you have to wonder if bits and pieces started to slip away.

It's not the new diver with 4 logged dives who doesn't know anything that worries me...it's the old diver with 1000+ logged dives who thinks he knows everything that does. I'd rather dive with someone who understands they have much to learn rather than someone who thinks they don't need to learn anymore.

Sunday was my last dive, but as Bob says, I'll be wet in about two hours! I try to get out twice a week.

I think anybody who's been out of the water for a prolonged period (six months or more) would benefit from either a refresher, or a very simple dive with skills practice. Of course, there are people with thousands of dives who could take a couple of years off and it wouldn't faze them, but for most of us, the skills are perishable.

Agreed, although I don't think people with thousands of dives are anymore immune to forgetting stuff than the rest of us. Muscle memory may be more ingrained, but as far as the knowledge and the skill proficiency goes, I think it's like anything else where if you don't use it then you lose it.

does it matter if you haven't been wet for 2 hours, 2 weeks, or 2 months? No matter what is always to long since you have been diving.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say, damn it, you beat me to it! :p I haven't been diving since January and it's too damn long....I'm going to fix that this weekend but still, if I don't dive each month then I start to lose it.

Sure, scuba diving is not the same as health care, but it also involves possible loss of life. I have my own mixed feelings as to a mandatory refresher, since it would probably just deteriorate into a cash cow like it has for the AHA, but I think it's certainly a good idea for someone to maintain proficiency regardless of how long they've been doing it. The refresher course for PADI for instance probably doesn't get used enough. If someone hasn't gone diving for a year, probably not an issue regardless of how many dives they have, but much beyond two or more years, you have to wonder if bits and pieces started to slip away.

You're right, it isn't like health care at all so I do not think your analogy is relevant. Also the possible loss of life can apply to pretty much any activity I do day to day so again, I don't see it as particularly relevant to scuba diving. Scuba diving is a safe activity.

Really though, people should be able to determine their own needs with refresher courses so it most certainly should not be mandatory. I agree people should stay proficient in skills for their own safety but this can be done without a 'PADI' refresher course.

It's not the new diver with 4 logged dives who doesn't know anything that worries me...it's the old diver with 1000+ logged dives who thinks he knows everything that does. I'd rather dive with someone who understands they have much to learn rather than someone who thinks they don't need to learn anymore.

I am not sure why you think that someone with 1000+ logged dives thinks they know everything. That is not my experience with anybody I personally know who has 1000+ dives. I think most people to have managed to do 1000 dives are pretty aware of the things that can go wrong. This is not the case in divers with few dives. I find the people with the worst attitudes are generally those with less than 100 dives but enough to have a basic grasp of buoyancy and so on, as then they start thinking they are top stuff and 'experienced', when really they have no idea what they have not learned yet.

Yesterday - drysuit neck seal leaked and I was soaked from my collar down past my a** with 4c - 41F water - not fun....:shakehead:....Cold and windy too. Instead of doing second dive, we decided to drink beer instead

:D

I was doing part of my mapping project for my Dive Master course in Vancouver.

Back
Top Bottom