How low of a visibility can you stand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30-40 feet! That is why I dive mainly in the Caribbean. Well vis and warm water.:D

I think I am okay with 6-10 feet of vis, but the problem here in southen Californian is the surge. When it is raging you can find yourself zipping along very quiclky. Slamming into a reef can ruin your day. I'll call a low vis dive more often due to surge than the actual visibility.

Far beyond zero vis.. More like the absence of light.

It’s just part of the job most of the time. It’s kind of nice to be several feet into the sediment. You just relax and enjoy the experience which by the way is a bit weird. :D

When you look into the lens of a UK800R that is plastered to your mask and all you can see is a faint glow the vis isn't very good.

Gary D.

I can enjoy a dive at 6" viz. but I can handle zero viz. I can handle almost about anything. Sometimes, if I let my imagination go while I am underwater, then I might start gettting a little anxious.

Depends on the dive. If I have to go through 1' vis to get below a layer OK. O vis in a wreck not my preference but done it. Done many, many dives up here in 1-2' vis. Just deal with it if you want to get wet. Anything over 5' is a plus.

From charleston myself and been alot of places and the best diving to date is the cooper river.Blackwater baby!!!!!!My opinion is that it helps you hone skills that you dont use everyday.For someone that is not comfortable with low to no vis,stay out of it.It can be creepy on occasion.Do you dive at night?In low vis?same deal.Just dive safe!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem diving in dark. ? different sensation, for some reason.

However, viz under 40 ft makes me freaky.

To Enjoy 30'
Ok 15' and less is crap unless there's something to work with or search etc (worst time 2''). Actually can't dive without my "reading" glases less than 2' vis couse can't find out anything of my instruments..

Dive 4 of my OW certification was little to no visibility, why not start from the beginning! hahaha!!!

This past Wednesday night I was in the same quarry, and it was like diving in pea soup until we got to about 60 feet, then the viz opened up to about 20-30 feet (good for quarry standards!)

Thankfully, my buddy was wearing yellow fins! (follow the yellow brick fin, follow the yellow brick fin)

It's not bad, I don't really mind it, it only makes the trips to the Keys much more pleasurable!

MikeFerrara:
Depends on the dive (environment, objective and so on).

I like great vis like every one else but I dive some real muck and it can still be fun.

If you make peace with it, it can be very Zen.

One of the best dives I've had recently was a shallow 0 viz dive on a sunny day. I couldn't see past the inside of my mask, but floating there was very relaxing.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom