How many calories burned during a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMarc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if anyone knows the approximation of how many calories are burned during a dive? I know there could be many variations in a dive that will change the calorie tally, depth, current, cold. I can see a boat dive in the Caribbean doing a 80 foot dive for 20 minutes could be a lot less calories burned that a cold water dive in the northeast with dry suit, cold temps, etc.

After doing two dives, I always feel like I burned up everything in my stomach.

Water temps can range from 39 (at depth) to 67 up by the surface. And that might have something to do with the hungry feeling.

I have always figured I burned calories by the hunger feeling in my stomach.

Goes along with, if you dive from a boat and have currents and waves that would burn calories too.

Interesting question.

gail

Hmmm...this is a good question. For some reason, I too always feel hungry after diving, but I am not sure if it is due to dehydration (which can make you feel hungry) or the bodily need to replace calories. I go to the gym 5 days a week and on the days that I dive rather than go to the gym, I just don't feel like I get my heart rate up or that I have met my endorphins quota for the day. I always have this desire to go out for a jog or bike ride after the dive. I realize that I am a bit too obsessive compulsive about exercise, but I have often doubted the number of calories burned during a dive. Perhaps I just don't give diving enough credit as a work-out, though!

I don't know about exact calories but after 154min. U/W today, I collected 35 WW points!

I think a 30min. dive burns about 450 calories.

Calories burned during a dive depends on what I am doing.

Just hanging out looking at things doesn't burn much.

Dredging a mucky bottom and rigging pipe burns a lot more.

Any dive that is rapidly burning calories is also going to be using air at a rapid rate. Not a problem surface supplied but can really cut a scuba dive short. :eyebrow:

ScubaMarc:
I was wondering if anyone knows the approximation of how many calories are burned during a dive? I know there could be many variations in a dive that will change the calorie tally, depth, current, cold. I can see a boat dive in the Caribbean doing a 80 foot dive for 20 minutes could be a lot less calories burned that a cold water dive in the northeast with dry suit, cold temps, etc.

I don't have expertise in the medical or professional fitness fields, but I would think that the more physically tasking the dive is, the more calories you would burn. Made me think that maybe an aggresive 40 ft. dive might make me sleep better too. Just a thought.

So many factors- water temp., duration, depth?, exposure protection, individual's metabolic rate, activity level underwater (joining the 5 fathom club > hanging midwater), etc. Too many variables to give anything other than a range of calories is my guess.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom