One-piece vs Two-piece drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I have one dive in my new dry suit so I am obviously a novice. This summer, and in fact most of my time will be shore diving in about 50 degree fresh water with ambient air temps in the 80’s.

Do you all find there to be an advantage in having two-piece undergarments when you have relatively cold water and relatively high ambient air temps? I’m thinking in terms of the ease of shedding clothing during surface intervals.

I've only ever worn a one-piece drysuit undergarment. For a surface interval, I most often will unzip my drysuit, and remove it from my shoulders and arms. (I let it hang at the waist, held up by the drysuit suspenders.) Then I will sometimes unzip the jumpsuit undergarment, also, and remove it from my shoulders and arms. (I let it hang at the waist, held up by the drysuit [sic] suspenders.) I leave in place my polypro liner.

ETA: I thread the arms of my drysuit and undergarment back through the drysuit suspenders in order to keep them from flailing other divers or catching on objects.

rx7diver

2 piece - layering depending upon planned dive time.

It’s just personal preference. I have both styles but prefer one piece.

I’m thinking in terms of the ease of shedding clothing during surface intervals.
I switched to two piece for the reason you mention. For me, it was because I was often diving in water in the high 50s with air temperatures approaching or surpassing 100.

Here is the main problem. You wait and wait and wait until the last minute to suit up. You get everything in place, with your hands slipping nicely past the lubricated wrist seals and your head working its way through the neck seal. You get the neck seal nicely arranged with no wrinkles. That is when you realize you forgot to put the upper level shirt on over the base layer.

Two piece: for the aforementioned layering, but also for the ease of partial replacement of wet undergarments due to leaky seal or two.

Here's another thought about it.

Back when I used one piece garments (Whites), I had a piece for the waters I normally dived (in the 50s-low 70s), and a piece for colder water. I used that colder water wear in Puget Sound in 46° water, and after a one hour dive, I was sweating profusely. I have not used it since (about 15 years). I now have a variety of pieces for two piece wear, and it gives me layering options for warmth.

If you are interested in the Whites MK3 one-piece, let me know. It has been hanging in my closet for a long time.

Two piece for two reasons: 1) mix-and-match layers, 2) better fit.

Sometimes I dive with mid-thickness bottoms and light tops. Also, unless you're a perfect standard size, you may find the torso being too large/small compared to your legs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom