How many dives can one do in the Red Sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeggoDiveyDivey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Currently planning a dive trip with a liveaboard in Marsa Alam for 7 days and am wondering whether to fly back home after or fly to Sharm and continue with shore dives out of a resort. I know everyone is different, though im wondering if anyone has ever done that

I don't see the point of going to Sharm after your live-aboard out of marsa alam. I'd go south to marsa shagra or lahami village for one more week of diving.

If you got time and money and if you fancy going to that location, why not. Also consider Dahab.
But as said by @BoltSnap Marsa Alam shore dive are really not bad, and that will save a least one day travel time = 2-3 dives
BTW: if that's your plan, you will have to keep an eye on your "no fly" time on that LOB. RMF to SSH will be with a stop over in CAI.

If you got time and money and if you fancy going to that location, why not. Also consider Dahab.
But as said by @BoltSnap Marsa Alam shore dive are really not bad, and that will save a least one day travel time = 2-3 dives
BTW: if that's your plan, you will have to keep an eye on your "no fly" time on that LOB. RMF to SSH will be with a stop over in CAI.

Yes, the down time, hassle, expense and routing through Cairo are just too much and not worth it for me.

Currently planning a dive trip with a liveaboard in Marsa Alam for 7 days and am wondering whether to fly back home after or fly to Sharm and continue with shore dives out of a resort. I know everyone is different, though im wondering if anyone has ever done that
Do you know what liveaboard route you'll be doing out of Marsa Alam yet? If you'll be going north towards Hurghada and Abu Nuhas, perhaps you might want to explore further south rather than go to Sharm ... Just a thought.

There are biweekly flights between Hurgada and Sharm to coincide with start and finish date of the LOBs. I would highly recommend Sharm for a week. As well as Dahab, Tiran and Ras Mohammed are world class sights. If you are there in the summer months you will see an incredible amount of fish. There are often hammerheads behind Tiran and we saw a little whaleshark at Ras Mo last summer. I love thé wrecks, the Thistlegorm and the Dunraven and Million Hope are superb. We have stayed in Camel Dive Club which is awesome.

Another option might be to head from Marsa Alam up the coast to Safaga - the diving there is quite good and not over-crowded - probably 2.5 hours by car.

Another option might be to head from Marsa Alam up the coast to Safaga - the diving there is quite good and not over-crowded - probably 2.5 hours by car.
Shore diving or boat only?

I wouldn't bother travelling at all if it is only for few days, there are good resorts around Marsa Alam. Most of the diving is shore based and some hotels have reasonable quality house reef. But if you can take time, Ras Mohammed is worth visiting. In that case, I would drive north to Hurghada (3-4hrs) and take a liveabord doing northern itinerary.
Shore diving or boat only?
Safaga is mostly boat diving, there are few hotels along Ras Abu Soma, where you can do decent house reef diving but all other hotels are limited to tiny house reefs that are just ok for a check dive or an owd course.

Back
Top Bottom