how much does air weigh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm:
:wink: The weight of air is dependent on temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, and humility.
HHhhaarrr!
Great one!
So very, very true :D
Rick

Air in a full 80 weighs appx. 6 pounds. For easy figuring that doesn't require precision, 6 divided by 80 equals .075 lbs./cu. ft.

Despite all the responses that will want you to take into account humidity, phase of the moon, etc., 13 cubic feet per pound will serve you well.

So 80/13 = 6 pounds. So an AL 80's "swing weight" is six pounds.

And yes, I ignore the folks that fall over each other to point out that an AL80 is actually 77.37925822172653 cubic feet. :) Nice, round numbers work. If you want to know exactly, you have to jump into the water and dive the problem. Calculating it out to 27 decimal places doesn't help.

Roak

So the air inside a properly filled HP steel tank will weigh 1/4 (or a couple of lbs) more than in a LP steel?

(assuming the two tanks are rated the same cu.ft.)

SteveFass:
So the air inside a properly filled HP steel tank will weigh 1/4 (or a couple of lbs) more than in a LP steel?

(assuming the two tanks are rated the same cu.ft.)

No, if you had a LP95 that holds 95 cubic ft at 2400 psi and a HP95 that holds 95 cubic ft at 3442 psi then the weight of the air, and thus the swing will be the same. The weight of the tanks due to thickness, size, etc probably will not.

Oh, yeah. Right. I knew that. I was just testing you.

(is there a way to delete a message you already posted?)

ok, here's the result of my calculations using the .08 lbs/cf figure

my LP85's (doubles) weigh 86 lbs filled to 3500 psi

if i get LP108s, they'd weigh 106 lbs to the same capacity

if i get LP120s, they'd weigh 112 lbs to the same capacity

trying to think how much my back can handle

(fills to 3500 psi are routine in dive shops geared for tech or cave diving; i am aware of the risks; thanks for not telling me i'm going to die =)

H2Andy:
... thanks for not telling me i'm going to die =) ...
You're gonna DIIIEEEE!!!
Rick :D

SteveFass:
Oh, yeah. Right. I knew that. I was just testing you.

(is there a way to delete a message you already posted?)
No, you're stuck with it forever, along with the snide comments :D
- or -
for a small fee.......
Rick

Rick Murchison:
You're gonna DIIIEEEE!!!
Rick :D

only IF i actually use them...

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom