How much for TDI Solo Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doppler, a question for you as you are the architect of the course. Would not make sense that a Dive Instructor of any agency would be able to receive the certification without the course or perhaps the practical section of the course, certainly he can read and self train. A divemaster or an instructor,or highly trained technical divers is responsible not only for himself but for the well being of the divers he brings with him, he is competent in navigation, air consumption, when he dives he certainly does not rely on his student? what are you thoughts, is there an opportunity here to provide a reduced version of the certification once someone reaches a certain classification level?

Doppler, a question for you as you are the architect of the course. Would not make sense that a Dive Instructor of any agency would be able to receive the certification without the course or perhaps the practical section of the course, certainly he can read and self train. A divemaster or an instructor,or highly trained technical divers is responsible not only for himself but for the well being of the divers he brings with him, he is competent in navigation, air consumption, when he dives he certainly does not rely on his student? what are you thoughts, is there an opportunity here to provide a reduced version of the certification once someone reaches a certain classification level?
I think it may be more the other way around....if you are Solo trained, then you can be a better and safer instructor.

The Solo version I teach is nowhere the length of Doppler's version, but even so has things in it that most recreational professionals have never thought about. If I were to argue for giving a bye to someone and just handing them a Solo card or having a reduced class version and cost, they would need to already have at least Full Cave, preferably sidemount. I think that is the only level of contingency-planning training and skill that is better than the Solo course. Just recreational divemaster/instructor training does not come close, and even normal technical training only hits part of it.

I think it may be more the other way around....if you are Solo trained, then you can be a better and safer instructor.

The Solo version I teach is nowhere the length of Doppler's version, but even so has things in it that most recreational professionals have never thought about. If I were to argue for giving a bye to someone and just handing them a Solo card or having a reduced class version and cost, they would need to already have at least Full Cave, preferably sidemount. I think that is the only level of contingency-planning training and skill that is better than the Solo course. Just recreational divemaster/instructor training does not come close, and even normal technical training only hits part of it.

"Recreational Professionals", that's OWSI and above right? I agree with you there because that's the philosophy that they were trained under - that NO ONE can safely dive solo. It's been drilled into them since they first started diving, so of course it's unconceivable to them that someone might be able to do that.

I'll turn it around and say the only OWSIs that have any business teaching solo at all should be certified cave and/or technical instructors as well. There are some good ones on this board that I consider qualified to teach solo, but they are in the minority.

I think there are very few cave/technical divers that don't believe they are able to safely conduct a solo dive. Your basic OWSI has nothing to offer to a technical diver. Very few cave divers would be interested in taking a solo diver course, especially from a basic (non-technical) OWSI, some random guy with 100 dives that took the IDC/IE. An OWSI, isn't even allowed to stick his head in a cave, but he's going to teach a cave diver how to dive, redundancy, gas planning, and all that?! Right... So I don't think there's much overlap between your standard for a free pass, and a cave divers level of interest.

How much does the typical TDI Solo Cert cost? I recently called up two shops and got quotes of $300 and $500. $300 seems reasonable to me, but $500 seems like a bridge too far.

What did your certification cost and do you think there is anything in the class that can justify the $200 price difference/make it worth taking the $500 class?

Mine took (4-5?) classes and a few weekends of diving, and taking the class was no assurance of getting the card.

It's much more of a "teaching" class than a "do this and here's your card" class. You should be looking for someone to do as good a job as possible of teaching you how to not die alone, and not looking for the cheapest class. Even the $500 class you mentioned is way too cheap for the time and effort that would go into doing it right.

Also, I don't believe you qualify yet. The minimum is 100 dives.

flots.

---------- Post added October 31st, 2014 at 03:06 PM ----------

Read the SDI book... I wrote it.

Nice job!

My Solo course runs $400. It usually takes divers 3 - 4 days (diving everyday) to complete. All the basics of the course are covered but better be real proficient with Buoyancy, Advanced Finning Techniques, Navigation, Wreck Reels and Lift Bag/SMB. All of these skills are used on every dive. Course is designed with NE wreck Diving in mind. What I have found is that most peoples perception of their own dive skills are way off. Not their own fault, past instruction was always a pat on the back and "you are great" compared to being honest with them as to where they are at. I also don't charge for make up dives when a diver does not pass one.

"Recreational Professionals", that's OWSI and above right? I agree with you there because that's the philosophy that they were trained under - that NO ONE can safely dive solo. It's been drilled into them since they first started diving, so of course it's unconceivable to them that someone might be able to do that.

I'll turn it around and say the only OWSIs that have any business teaching solo at all should be certified cave and/or technical instructors as well. There are some good ones on this board that I consider qualified to teach solo, but they are in the minority.

I think there are very few cave/technical divers that don't believe they are able to safely conduct a solo dive. Your basic OWSI has nothing to offer to a technical diver. Very few cave divers would be interested in taking a solo diver course, especially from a basic (non-technical) OWSI, some random guy with 100 dives that took the IDC/IE. An OWSI, isn't even allowed to stick his head in a cave, but he's going to teach a cave diver how to dive, redundancy, gas planning, and all that?! Right... So I don't think there's much overlap between your standard for a free pass, and a cave divers level of interest.
Well, I'll give you credit, you set up a strawman and definitely shot him down.
No one said anything about an OWSI teaching a solo class. That is a bad idea.....if that is the only training and experience they have. But please note that an OWSI might also be Full Cave and Adv Trimix and CCR certified, too, or even an instructor in those things. So the issue is not being an OWSI, it is is being untrained. After all, an OWSI might also be Full Cave, etc.

What was asked was whether a DM or OSWI ought to get a cut-rate in taking the class because he effectively already dives solo (with students who can't help him) and already knows all that stuff about gas planning. My response was there is nothing in a DM or OWSI's training that teaches about the kind of contingency planning and gas planning that you get in technical or cave, or even solo classes. So, no, I don't think an OWSI or DM ought to get a cut rate simply because he is a "recreational professional." So you and I agree.

I went further: I said that recreational professional ought to take solo because it would make him a better DM or instructor.

Then I said I thought a Full Cave diver ought to get a cut rate on a Solo card, or maybe even just be able to apply for one and get it, because they already have the requisite training.

I think you and I agree on most of this....

How much does the typical TDI Solo Cert cost? I recently called up two shops and got quotes of $300 and $500. $300 seems reasonable to me, but $500 seems like a bridge too far.

What did your certification cost and do you think there is anything in the class that can justify the $200 price difference/make it worth taking the $500 class?

My Solo course runs $400. It usually takes divers 3 - 4 days (diving everyday) to complete. All the basics of the course are covered but better be real proficient with Buoyancy, Advanced Finning Techniques, Navigation, Wreck Reels and Lift Bag/SMB. All of these skills are used on every dive. Course is designed with NE wreck Diving in mind.

As with everything in life... you usually get what you pay for. My buddy and I paid $300 to take the course on a Caribbean liveaboard trip. We were essentially "buying the card" from an instructor who had fewer TOTAL dives to his name than my buddy or I had already logged as solo dives in our dive careers. In fact he admitted that he learned more from us during the class than we did from him.

The only solo course I could see being worth $500 would be Wayne's $400 class... or Steve's of course, and with Frank proving that sometimes you can get well more than you paid for.

In fact, I would have taken Wayne's if I hadn't already been well-trained by him in every other technical respect. (And he ain't kidding about needing to be proficient in every skill... I've done more than one "make up" dive under his watchful eye.)

Called to two local SDI dive shops in Dallas area to check about SDI Solo course.
One asked to make online course for $119.95 and pay him $30 processing fee.
One of his instructors will go with me to close lake, but will not wet, just waiting during my two dives on the beach.
I really not understand the idea of this training, if instructor is not going wet. Instructor fee already included in 119.95 + 30, which sound for me strange.
Second SDI dive shop kindly ask to not do course online, but come to him, buy book for $30 and pay $249 for all in class and water training.
I forgot to ask if his instructor also will stay outside of the water during my two dives.
Unfortunately on official SDI site doesn't mention if 2 dives should be with instructor or alone.
I believe in buddy system and was looking for Solo course only to learn little bit more how to help myself in different situations and more practices with instructor.
Now I am not sure that this is that I want - do two dives while instructor will not be wet.
Would please somebody describe how his/her Solo course was organized?

Run away from that first one. Run, fast, far. What if you have a problem down there? You've only read about skills, does that mean you master them? I wouldn't waste any money on that, I can happily jump on my own in a lake, if there's no one to tell me what I'm doing wrong, I might as well keep that money for myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom