How much US ca$h to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroknot

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Arriving Belize City at 12:40pm July 28th for same day transfer to Turneffe Island Resort (TIR). Will depart TIR/Belize City on Aug 7th. How much cash will we need for the trip including:

1. Airport arrival & transportation to TIR boat shuttle at Princess Hotel;
2. Tips, etc., at TIR
3. One day trip to the mainland to visit the Lamanai Mayan Ruins.
4. TIR/Belize City departure

I'm sure I missed other times when cash is necessary. Please fill-in the blanks.

Thank you.

Airport & Shuttle - $10 to $20 for the baggage handler to negotiate your bags into the parking lot and onto the van and another $10 or $20 for the driver to take you to the dock.

TIR Tips - you can put these on your Visa or MasterCard (no Am Ex) account on the island if you want. There's a suggested tipping sheet that will be waiting for you in your room. I can't remember the suggested amounts exactly, but tips are suggested for the dive staff boat captain and dive master, cleaning ladies/kitchen crew, the bartender and, somewhat controversially per a prior thread, the maintenance and landscape crews.

I plan to tip in cash to the dive guys and bartender and put the rest on my credit card when we go in a couple of weeks.

Other than tips, you won't need any cash at TIR at all as there's literally nowhere to spend it. You do need to bring a credit card, though, which you'll use to charge drinks, the Blue Hole park fee, rental gear, nitrox, any gift shop stuff, etc. You'll set up an account shortly after you arrive.

Lamanai Mayan ruins - not sure about this one. We're going to do this tour on Friday before we head off to the island the following afternoon. First, there's the driver, who will also act as your guide. I think the driving is about an hour each way. Then there's the boat captain for the forty mile round trip on the New River. I assume the boat captain hangs around while you clamber about the ruins, so this is a pretty big commitment from both of these people.

This will be a private drive, ride and tour since it's arranged through TIR, so I think the tips should be bigger than if you were just one of many on a tour bus and a cattle boat. I tipped my driver/guide somewhere around $50 or $60 each time for two half-day trips two years ago.

I'm guessing I'll probably tip our driver around $100 and maybe $60 for the boat captain. It's just a guess, though, and if anyone else thinks I'm ridiculously off the mark in either direction I'd appreciate the input. In our case, we're going to have the same driver for cave tubing and the Baboon Sanctuary the day before the Lamanai ruins plus a trip to the Zoo the morning after. This means we're going to be hanging with this guy for two and a half days. I'm planning on making this one happy guide from the start because in my experience a happy guide makes for happy tourists.

TIR departure - $10 or $20 for the driver. You'll be dropped off at the airport's front door so no need for a baggage handler this time.

Don't know about you, Dave, but I'm counting down the days at this point...15 days and about 3 hours till we touch down in beautiful BZ City, lol.

Last edited:
no need to use "baggage handlers" the walk to the van is very short and be careful becasue to me its a scam.They dont meet you till you have cleared customs and its maybe 50 yards to the van.

I thought it was more like 25 yards, lol.

Seriously though, point well taken. It's not far and you could certainly carry your luggage yourself. In our case, two years ago we had been up and traveling for almost 12 hours when we landed in BZ City. Between us, we had two large dive gear+ bags, two carry ons and two satchels. We were pretty beat, and I was more than happy to let someone else lug and load the luggage. I didn't think twice about it even though all we ended up doing was crossing the street, cutting through some landscaping and walking through the parking lot to the van.

The good news is this time we definitely won't need a baggage handler since we're arriving too late to catch the resort's shuttle. The bad news is we have to take a cab downtown, and I almost fainted when I was told on this board it's going to cost me about $50. Here in Portland you can catch a light rail train at the airport to go downtown, about 15 miles away, for $4, or a taxi for $25.

I dont think it will be 50 US maybe 50 belize.I paid 25 us to go to the ferry from the airport and I was told the main hotel are just 10 minutes away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom