How much water in the loop? (Choptima, particularly)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During class, in 72 F water, it seemed like I hardly got any, but we were also cleaning and rebuilding daily after about a 3 hour dive (or 2 90 min dives or whatever). Later in 50 F quarries back home, there was always more, even after just two 75 min dives. I attributed this to more condensation in cooler water.

Then, in 70 F water this summer in the Thousand Islands, I was getting even more water by the time I was rebuilding the Chop. But I was also diving the unit for 3 days straight with about 5 or 6 hours of total dive time before the rebuild at the end of the weekend when I got home, so I was not sure if it was because of the additional time on the loop or if I was getting slack jawed and careless (or if there was a small leak somewhere). But last weekend, I did just a single dive on Saturday morning (172 ft max with 72 min run time) and then changed the scrubber canister before my next dive on Sunday afternoon. I had like 2 drops of water in the trap in the canister and maybe a teaspoon in the exhale lung (way less than usual). After I did the Sunday dive (72 ft for 90 min), I tore down the RB Monday and again had almost no water in there.

So either I suddenly started drooling a lot less or the amount of condensation really is exponential the longer I dive before draining (e.g. 1 hour = 1 tsp, 2 hr = 4 tsp, 3 hr = 8tsp, or similar). Also, the fluid I am getting now seems less slimy (drooly) than before. IDK, but I'm glad it's trending the right way now; I was starting to worry that there was some big problem brewing. Seems much dryer now; we'll see what happens next time (probably back in cooler quarry water again).

So either I suddenly started drooling a lot less or the amount of condensation really is exponential the longer I dive before draining (e.g. 1 hour = 1 tsp, 2 hr = 4 tsp, 3 hr = 8tsp, or similar). Also, the fluid I am getting now seems less slimy (drooly) than before. IDK, but I'm glad it's trending the right way now; I was starting to worry that there was some big problem brewing. Seems much dryer now; we'll see what happens next time (probably back in cooler quarry water again).
Update: after 2 hour and a half dives in 50 something degree water I still had very little in the trap or the counter lungs.

Back
Top Bottom